Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee chain adjustment problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee chain adjustment problem

Well i just got back form pismo and i noticed that one of my chain tensioners came loose. I guess it was from the axel torking back and forth but i am not sure. Does this happen to anyone else??
Thanks

Old 12-01-2002, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

several of my friends have banshees , and they have had it happen to them also . some of them went to lock nuts , others red lock tight .

Old 12-01-2002, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

The best fix.....a new swingarm that uses a round house 250r carrier. If you can't afford this (like me) then try what Donzilla said.

Old 12-01-2002, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

Ya, i need that a honda style swingarm, but damn they are expensive.

Old 12-02-2002, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

same thing happened to my friends, and he had fixed it, but not good enough. and the chain flew off, and wrecked part of the axle carrier, the rear sprocket, and some other stuff. so make sure its tight!

Old 12-02-2002, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

That friend being me. Happened this weekend actually. Chain flew off on a REAL bumpy hill and I was maxed out to the max in 3rd and the chain did some damage. It flew off, hit the part of my case right above the f. sprocket, took some chunks out of it. Axle contorted and r. sprocket hit chain guide and ate it up like a gorilla and bent the sprocket while doing so. Top right axle carrier bolt (that holds it on the swingarm) sheared off and caused my axle to come soo loose. Fastest stop I've ever encountered, chain got caught up in the bent rear sprocket making the wheels lock up, with furthermore bent the sprocket.

Big Fun, I must say

-nick

Old 12-04-2002, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

Me and a friend each had XL100 honda dirtbikes. His was older with lower gearing. He would topend at exactly 55mph, and I would just then be shifting into 5th. We were drag racing across an open field and he was reaching topend. As I shifted into fifth to pass, due to a loose chain my chain came off and wrapped up in between the rear sprocket and frame. The rear tire locked up and having no front brakes, I had to just try to ride it out. That lasted all of about 10 feet when the rear decided to pass the front. At about 45-50mph, it laid down. I slid and rolled for a while and then got up without any major injuries. I will never ride with a loose chain again on anything.

Old 12-04-2002, 01:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

So locknuts are the way too go?

Old 12-04-2002, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

Lock nuts on the adjusters or on the bolts taht connect the s-arm to the bearing housing?? I haveLock nuts on the bolts that connect the s-arm to the bearing carier.

Old 12-05-2002, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

I've never had a problem with the adjuster bolts on either of my Yamahas. Take a little time to tighten them down properly and it should be fine. There is probably a better way but I don't know what it is. I wouldn''t use RED loctite but maybe BLUE loctite would be OK. The red stuff is somewhat permanent.

Quick Reply: Banshee chain adjustment problem