Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of Glamis Thanksgiving '02

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 12-04-2002, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

BLM over sees the dunes and handed over the LEo authority to the county sheriff who asked for help from aprox 10 other agencies due the size of the dunes. In all told there was 150 leo for aprox 170,000. Not bad if you stop and think what happens everynight in a town that size.

Old 12-04-2002, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

Exactly how big is this town? I thought Glamis was a desert that you had to drive miles to get to. What is the name of the nearest town? Or just point me to a website so I can read for myself. I looked on the Glamis site. Am I missing something that explains about the area and residents. Just want to have all information possible.

Old 12-04-2002, 03:44 PM
Pro Rider

the nearest town is brawley and is about 30 miles due west. but there is a BLM station at the entrance to gecko road and as well the BLM has "satelite" stations at other various parts of teh ISDRA in motorhomes.

as far as injuries to the riders of teh banshees: rudy, the owner of RIS, fared teh worst. he came out with a broken vertebra, broken ribs, ruptured spleen and punctured lung. his daughter crystal has a sore back and neck and temporarily in a wheelchair to get around. the 2 others are friends of teh family: carlos and tony. one ended up with a broken neck, and teh other with a sore back and neck. all are expected to make a full recovery

who was at fault? it will all depend on who you ask. where the banshees lined up WAS the start line about 30 minutes earlier. but with the increase in spectators teh "starting line" moved further down.. at the time of teh accident it was about 1/4 mile from where it originally was. the strip was packed!! about a mile long total and about 3- 4 vehicled deep on both sides. another factor in teh accident was the narrowness of teh strip itself. TOO NARROW, as well it was a sweeping right hand turn rather than a straight line. another factor could have been the drivers "HP: DRIVER SKILL RATIO". i dont personally know teh diver so who knows. but ultimately i wish teh banshee riders could have used better judgement in lineing up their race

Old 12-04-2002, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

Rhonda, Glamis IS in the middle of know where. You DO have to drive miles into the desert to get to it.
The nearest town is a little hole in the wall called "Brawley". (about 25 miles away)

What he was saying is, if you have a town with 170K people and 100 cops, some chaos is going to take place.
Glamis is BIG though. Those people are spread out over miles. The only BIG gatherings are the comp hill party at night, and the olds party during the day/night. The sand drags also create a HUGE gathering. Other than that, everyone is all spread out over miles of dunes just riding having a good time.

-Matt

Old 12-04-2002, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

Nices pics michaelAZ thats my friend on the white/black banshee racing the Ds650 and was there a week and loved it
Pat

Old 12-04-2002, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

Thank you for all the information. I appreciate your time and patience with me out here. I am not familar with alot of the riding places so if I ask some questions that appear to be "dumb" it is because I am not literate in this area. But I am trying to become somewhat educated so I can carry on sensible conversations when my husband's friend come over and talk about their bikes. I don't want to be just tolerated and I am trying to be supportive. Thanks again.

Old 12-04-2002, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

Rhonda...go here...ASA

everyone else...go here...T Day pics

Old 12-04-2002, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

I checked out the site ASA. Very informative. Thanks Blueleader. I guess AZ did not account for paranoid wives when he posted those pictures. One more reason to keep me off this forum right?

Old 12-04-2002, 06:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ignorance is why most of us are here[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Pics of Glamis Thanksgiving '02