Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Edelbrock Induction kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Edelbrock Induction kit

I just got email yesterday that the Edelbrock induction kit for the Raptor should be avail in the next few weeks. Its a single Qwiksilver "pumper" carb size approx 36x42 mm even though the description is a little different. Jason said its equivalent to a 39mm carb. It has a plenum that connects the carb to the airbox intake boots. With the accelerator pump & mechanical slide it is supposed to eliminate hesitation/bogging associated with a cv slide carb & improves low-mid throttle substantially over stock. They claim it also improves a modified engine but may affect top end by as much as 1hp but occurs after 7500rpm- out of the useable power band.

That's the good news, the bad news is the Website of Barnum'spro leads you to beleive that it will be available at an introductory price of $425 but they said that is really for the 400EX. The real price is $660, ouch! That's a little too close to the FCR's price. If anbody gets one I would appreciate a post on how well it performs, I'm sure others would as well.
I just can't justify spending that much without knowing how good it really is.

Old 12-04-2002, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have there been any problems with Raptor stock carbs???

Old 12-04-2002, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

The literature on this kit says it eliminates the bog/hesitation assocaited with cv slide type carbs. For example, when you land off a jump or are hill climbing & the elevation changes drastically. Personally, I think the low end suffers from opening up the airbox causing jetting to be very tempermental in the 1/4/-1/2 throttle range due to the reduced air speed at lower throttle settings which causes turbulence which causes the vacuum slides to bounce. In other words, when you open up the airbox, the amount of incoming air increases but it slows down at lower throttle positions causing the slides to bounce. However, at mid to upper throttle positions the amount of air/velocity increases dramatically thus giving you that arm stretching power & the needles have less impact as well. JMO!

Old 12-04-2002, 06:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chimmer did you get the ct or gyt-r needles yet and try them?I seen earlier that you were going to give that a try, just wondering if you ever did and what happened.

Old 12-04-2002, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

An HSR45mm single carb is about $500 retail. I don not know how much the manifold is. But I would go with a Mikuni HSR44 or 45 instead of Edelbrock.

Old 12-04-2002, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

single carb
click on MZ Scorpion on the left side menue.

Old 12-06-2002, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

sixsixT, I got the CT needles & briefly tried them in my driveway & the turbulence trouble still existed but it seems to have been reduced some. However, I haven't been able to try different clip positions due to a time constraint but hope to this weekend. I am also waiting on a CFM airbox due to arrive shortly & I am hoping the combination alleviates the jetting difficulties. The CFM airbox uses the 250R filter setup which is a single opening that connects to the 2 intake boots. There is a 1.5" space between the filter & intake boots which creates a plenum that in theory, should create some vacuum that in theroy should help to alleviate turbulence & increase air velocity at low throttle positions. JMO!

Blue leader, thanks for the info, I will check it out, in theory(too much theory in this post) a larger single carb will improve low-mid & being mechanical will eliminate the problems associated with a cv slide carb. The one you mention is even bigger than Edelbrock's so it may not suffer as much top end loss.

Old 12-06-2002, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

BlueLeader, I just got off the phone with Galen from HoleShot performance about the new carb kit for the Raptor. He is only recommending the Mikuni HS-42 (42mm) carb for the Raptor since the 44mm affected the low end too much. The kit is a flat slide single carb with a aluminum plenum for the 2-1 intake side & the airbox side is replaced with a single K&N airfilter attached directly to the carb itself. He said they also offer a single runner to a custom airbox kit for more money. I like the idea of this kit since the diameter shouldn't affect the top end as much as the Edelbrock kit. The problem I have is I just ordered a CFM airbox which uses the stock intake boots on the airbox side. Can you say custom fabrication? I told Galen he would have to cut me in on a piece of the action if my adapter took off, LOL..... He said the kit sells for about $735.