Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Drags: What's your launching techniques?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 10:21 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drags: What's your launching techniques?

airraptor said it best but I am 200lbs. and do that in the sand or loose dirt.

Old 12-08-2002, 10:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Im not ignoring you mike im looking for some time slips!!

Old 12-09-2002, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

Basically the same as I leave the line for TT. 1/2 throttle second gear, ease clutch as you hit the pipe. Pull the front tires about 3 inches and open the throttle as you use the clutch to hold the tires up. Rip it in third and hang on.

Old 12-09-2002, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

My question is why not just make 1st gear taller so you wont have to use second? I understand that on a 2 stroke launching from low ratio second means the rest of your gears will be very closer ratio which is good for tight powerbands but on a broad powerband fourstroke why not just make 1st gear taller?

Old 12-09-2002, 03:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

For me you couldn't make first gear tall enough, with a sprocket, second seem just a little too tall. It would be better for me to loose a tooth, or two, and still start in second. Plus by starting in second it cuts out on one of the shift points.

Old 12-09-2002, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

I sit at the very top of the seat, while holding the brake lever I slowing rev it up just until the wheels feel like they are going to break loose. Green light...wide open throttle as I slide to the back of the seat for max traction and hold on for dear life.

Jay

Old 12-09-2002, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

I usually rev it up in 1st and pop the clutch and ride it out and nail 2nd hard. I have 20inch shredders so it hooks up like a mad man in hard packed sand. The last time I rode, I was hitting the 2nd gear so hard so it wouldnt bog down. I ended up killin the rear end of it due to a chain fly-off. But that is another story!

-nick

Old 12-10-2002, 02:35 PM
Range Rover

We only drag race with our Raptors(2) and Banshee(1). We run dirt and pavement. It depends on the surface and distance and air pressure in tires and type of tires as to what gear you leave in. (2nd gear is always faster if you can get away with it especially on dirt) Time slips dictate whats faster in timed real life events. You have to find a happy medium and time slips help you tune or running your friend. (A good drag race rider helps too) Spinning or standing up is almost always slower. We come out as hard as we can on pavement without standing up or spinning for best 60' times. Wheelie bars and wheelies and spinning on a four stroke cost you several tengths. We learned that the hard way. Dirt,we almost always start in second gear depending on gearing and distance. We run 300' dirt drags with 13/41 gearing leaving in second. We drag race on pavement in the eigth mile. All bolt ons and we run 8:40's at 77mph with the raptor. We gear with 15/39 with 19 inch American racer slicks all the waya round. We are lowered and did some tricks for less rolling resistance and cut the fenders. We outrun a lot of built raptors and machines just due to homework and testing and tricks. Our Banshee is alcohol fed T-Rex cylindered 420 cc,Drag pipes,ext swing, with all the goodies. I can send pics or direct you to a website I moderate at with pics of all my rides. It runs high sixes at near 100mph in the eigth now. All of this with 220 and 240 lb riders! Me and my son. Hope this helps. PM me for more specifics.
Shock

Youd be amazed at how much you can lower your et just by playing with launch techniques and gearing and air pressure.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-10-2002, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

on asphalt everytime i tried to get greedy with 60' times by lowing air pressure i came up. i started running 8psi and and its stays in the upper 1.5's. i have got a 1.51 60' time as best. i think i can get better times with a wheelie bar. right now my best is 7.5's @86MPH. i haven't had a chance to race again since some new mods, i think it will go 7.2's-3's now. THIS IS STILL WITHOUT A WHEELIE BAR.

Old 12-11-2002, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

Could someone explain to me the feathering the clutch technique. I to am having trouble wit the takeoffs. I can't keep the front end down.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Drags: What's your launching techniques?