Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee...what am I getting into?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 01:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee...what am I getting into?

Alright here is the deal. I have always had ATVs, but they have almost always been utility. I have a Rancher 4X4 right now. I did have a Polaris 400 Sport. Went to the trails last weekend, and ran into a couple of guys with Banshees, and I HAD to get one. So I found one on EBay. It's a 2001 and I think it's in pretty good shape. I was wondering if there is anything that I should know about them. Any problem areas? How will it compare to that 400 Sport? Will it be good for trail riding?(Mostly open, some woods) Are there any mods that I need to make, or can I just run it stock right off the bat? I have also looked at 400EXs and Raptors, but I like the 2-strokes. Let me know what you think.

Old 12-08-2002, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

goodfrench- I would change the tires for starters, then maybe some suspension mods. JMO Good Luck with your purchase and Happy Riding!! XR

Old 12-08-2002, 02:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

What kind of tires should I get?I have also read on a thread about changing the j-arm to a-arms because the Banshees "suck".I assume they are talking about the control arms,but I am wondering what the difference is ?

Old 12-08-2002, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

I would get some pipes and open up the airbox, new tires if it dosent already have them, then never touch it again. As for the tires, If I were you I would only get rear tires, some ebay ones for cheap.... If you pipe it, then step off your 400 onto it you will probably **** your pants when you hit the power band and become permanently addicted.

Old 12-08-2002, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

J arms are only on the really old ones. As for tires, get some Razrs, or ITPs, I suggest 18s or 20s and 21s for the front. Pick a tread pattern that looks like it has about the amount of slide you want and make sure they are flat across when aired up.

Old 12-08-2002, 03:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

A pipe (FMF or Toomies) and some spare spark plugs with you all the time.

Old 12-08-2002, 03:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

I hate to sound like a dumb *** ,but what do you mean by opening up the air box? and if I get a pipe will I have to rejet ?

Old 12-08-2002, 06:02 PM
Range Rover

Yes, if you pipe it you will have to rejet. You may want to just put some gas in it and see how it feels, Banshees have plenty of juice off the showroom floor. The tires that are on it wont last a *long* time anyway[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Oh, and only the older banshees had the J arms. Your 2k1 will have a traditional A arm.. Jackal means to cut a buncha holes in the air box[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-08-2002, 11:19 PM
Range Rover

I bought my Banshee new in 99, and took very good care of it, I just split the case to weld the crank and
have some porting done, and found the crank was bad and starting to seperate where its pressed together, So my point if your going to leave it stock your ok, but if you start putting pipes on weld the crank first why Yamaha didn't do this I have no idea! I guess the same Engineer the designed the stock air filter figured it cost to much to weld the crank and put a good air filter system on.

Old 12-08-2002, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

If i were you i would go with tommey T5 pipe/silencer and jet kit. They provide great preformance.
Also if you not going through too much water you should get their 2:1 air fliter system with a uni filter and outerware.

Quick Reply: Banshee...what am I getting into?