Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee...what am I getting into?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 06:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee...what am I getting into?

just go get a raptor and let the kiddies play with the two stroke oil, plug problems, ring replacements, etc.
just dont get an 01 raptor, or you get to learn about trannies!!!! LOL

i speak from experience. i have a blaster for fun! but the banshee suspension and engine tuning draws a lot of navy language from a variety of people. you have to be a shee fan to run one. they are special.

if you're just running trails weekends etc, then a 4 stroke is the way to go. yeah, i know, but thats the way of the future, admit it!

Old 12-09-2002, 03:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

I lost the auction in the last minutes.....damn it.I will have to find another one.I might just buy a new one.How does a Raptor compare to the Banshee?

Old 12-09-2002, 03:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Uuuummmm..... try and go ride one, they are like apples and oranges.

Old 12-09-2002, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

First thing to do is put in the Pro-design air filter kit. The stock set up is worthless and WILL let dirt in. As was said, the toomey or Pro-flo kit works wonders if you don't ride in water. Pipes are night and day. Pro-circuit or Toomey. Take the airbox lid off. 270/280 main jets will be perfect for filter/pipes. Run Spectro SX at 32:1 and you won't foul plugs.

As for tires, Razr's suck. I have had them and will never buy them again especially for a banshee. Fast Trekkers, shredders or Holeshots.

99banshee, I have never seen any crank, from any manufacturer, that is welded from the factory. If you weld it, it has to be ground in order to rebuild it. I do agree that the crank needs to be welded if internal mods are done, but not if just piping etc.

Old 12-09-2002, 09:04 PM
Range Rover

Alkyburninx, My Banshee is stock except for pipes, K&N, 4 degree timing key, I just split the case last thusday night to have the crank welded, and its starting to seperate and the bearings are shot
I still cant believe this happened with just pipes, Im glad I split the case and found it before a rod went though the case! Oh well it will be badder than ever with some porting and a milled head, Im still thinking about power valves too.

Old 12-11-2002, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

99banshee, my TT bike is also a 99. When I built its engine the first time, the bearings were shot on it. The crank was still good. This is a trouble spot, I was just stating that no crank is welded from the factory on any atv engine. Who is doing your portwork and when will it be done? I am looking to build my playbike engine this winter.

Old 12-11-2002, 07:10 PM
Range Rover

Alkyburninx, I'm having my friend Eric at 4 Wheel Thunder do the port work, I helped him with splitting the case sence I have never done that before and didn't wont to learn on my own stuff so I had him do it and I watched, he said it will be about 60 hp when he's done, Its was 48 before!
He has his own Dyno.