Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

JETTING MY WOLVERINE

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MEGAMAX & JETTING - I got some stuff and need advice on instalation PLEASE TAKE A READ

Hey,
Well all, I'm psyched. I just got myself some stuff and I am ready to begin instalation. I am lookin for any advice on all the different parts of this. Even if I haven't mentioned it and it comes to your mind drop me a message. Well now I'll tell you what I got.

<u>Quad:</u>
2001 Yamaha Wolverine, skidplates, stock tires, stock bars.

<u>What I'm installing:</u>

- FMF Megamax Exaust (with disk system)
- Alba Torque stuffer
- K&N filter and Outerwears
- Dynojet Jetting kit
- Uni pre-filter 1" filters (drill one inch holes in airbox and place miniatre plastic with uni foam filters in the holes --pack of 6--)

- Moose blue handguards
- Renthal Bars
- Factory 909 blue/black grips
- Moose skidplate foam
- 2 bungee mesh

Thats what I have. The first part of the list is what I really need the advice on instalation, especally the torque stuffer and THE JETTING OF THE CARB. The airbox modding is somthing else any words of wisdom would be apreciated about. Well past this point I don't have much else to say yet. Thanks for all your help.

I have some photos of the stuff but nowhere to post it so if you would like me to send you a picture, e-mail me asking for the pics of the stuff. at CTATV@aol.com

Thanks once again your help is much apreciated. check back here I'm sure I'll have more questions as I dig on into this project!

Old 12-11-2002, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default MEGAMAX & JETTING - I got some stuff and need advice on instalation PLEASE TAKE A READ

Hey, I really need all the help I can get with jetting. I basically have no idea what the hell i'm about to do. Any tips???

Old 12-11-2002, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default JETTING MY WOLVERINE - I got some stuff and need advice on instalation PLEASE TAKE A READ

Nothing else to say I just want it to be on the first page of the fourm so maybe some more people see it tonight

Old 12-12-2002, 07:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default JETTING MY WOLVERINE

If you have never looked in your carb you need to find a detailed drawing of what you are looking at, there might be one in the DJ kit. On the Wolv I think you can loosen the clamps that hold the carb on and turn it sideways to do the jetting, I'm not sure though.

First thing to do is inatall everything but the jets.

Next you need to get to the bottom of the carb and take out the four screws that hold the bottom on, this peice is called the bowl.

The main jet is what you will be changing in here. It will be connected to the carb, not the bowl. It is about the size of a pencil eraser and slotted for a screw driver.

Third read the instructions in the DJ kit and use what jet # they say to use. If I remember right its going to be like a 155, but again I am not sure. You will need to know what the elevation is where you are riding, somebody else from Conn might be able to tell you if you don't know.

Put the bowl back on.

If there is a neddle in the kit you will need to acsess the top of the carb now. There is going to be some kind of cover over the top of the carb, take it off. Now looking down into the carb you should see the top of the needle, some how. Take the needle out, there is no easy way for me to tell you how because I am not very fimilar with that carb. Make sure when you take it out you don't lose anything and keep everything on the needle in the EXACT same order as it is stock.

Replace the needle with the new one according to the directions in the kit. If it says to raise the needle you need to move the clips down, lower the neddle means to move the clips up. You will understand more when you see it.

Put everything back the way the insructions say or the way it was stock if they don't say.

With everything back the way it was crank it up and let it warm up to operating temp. Take it down the road in about third or forth gear wide open. After you hold it wide open throttle(WOT) cut the key off while keeping the throttle pinned. Now without down shifting put the tranny in neutral. Its a pain but...just move the sifter half way between the gears, and stop.

If it popped at WOT you are too rich and need to use one size smaller main jet (MJ) and try it again.

If not pull your plug out and read the jetting info in this link This is the most important part. Take your time and do it right. If you end up to lean, not enough fuel, you can do MAJOR damage to your engine. Once you get this done you are done, happy riding.

Warning the screws in the bowl strip VERY, VERY easily. If they don't want to come out stick your driver in them and tap it, lightly, with a hammer.

If you need any more help I will be glad to help you, leave me a PM if you need to.

edit: I think that is my longest post ever.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 12-12-2002, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks that helps a lot. When I got my kit it cam from ALBA I got the one jet and one needle, but no directions on what settings I should do it at. I will ask around I know there are some people with jetted wolverines in here like 95Wolv and I know one person from my state with the same kit. I guess I will look around on the dynojet site, or call alba for some more info on what jet to start with and such. Thanks for you help that Definatly gives me a lot more information than I had. I have a blown up diagram of the carb, with every part numbered, so that should help me there. This afternoon I am going to begin installing the pipe and intake and such. I have one more question, I am modifying the airbox with 1 inch holes. will the instructions tell me about that for jetting or will I just have to ajust what I do by how much I open it up. I know the jet kit had two little things in it. one must be the main jet and the other must be the nedle. I will check the sizes and stuff when I go home, I'm at school, it said on my invoice what they were.

Old 12-12-2002, 05:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If the vents came in the kit you will be ok. If they didn't, and you want to use them, go ahead and put them in before you jet it. It should matter a whole lot and you should still be ok on the main jet size. Try it and go by what it says at the link to Trinity that I gave you. If you are lean with them go to your Yamaha dealer and buy the next biggest size jet they have and you should be good. The Wolv aren't real picky about jetting so it shouldn't be to hard.

I take that back I see its is a DJ kit. If you end up needing a new jet you will have to order it from Alba or DJ. If this happens you can just cover the holes up with some tape, until you get the new jet.

Old 12-12-2002, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider

yeah do like ward660R said and put all the hardware on it, the pipe, the intake kit and the torque stuffer, the torque stuffer goes in the end of the headerand you will probably need to buy another crush gasket and install it after you put the torque valve in because it wil change the way the header fits against the cylinder head. After you get all that on there, there arent that many jets that come with the jet kit, i think there are 5 or 6. So seeing as how you dont know what elevation or anything, look at the stock needle and e-clip when you take it out, put the e-clip in the jet kit at the same notch on the jet kit needle as it is on the stock needle. THis will get youtr needle position correct. Now for the jets after all of your performace parts are in place, start with the biggest jet, put it in and see how it runs, run the bike as fast as you can because your main jet only works when your throttle is 3/4 to wide open. Your looking for it to accelerate hard with no hesitation or and stumbles. If it doesnt, move down a jet until it does, and the first jet that it accelerates with out stumbles or hesitation will be the jet to use. Its not really as hard as everyone makes it out to be. I mean its not like ytou have 2 carbs like on banshees or raptors or a highly modified engine. Hope this helped.

Old 12-12-2002, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

Somone might have already said how to do the needle but too much writing for an A.D.D. person to skim through.

Isint ur carb the same as a warrior? If so after you take off the top panel, remove the set screw on the arm that lifts the slide, then undo the two screws at the base of the arm on the slide. If it give you any more trouble pull out the rod that the slide arm is controled by and lift it straight out but with the right screw drives you might not have too. I had to figure it all out on my own before I got a manual.

Old 12-12-2002, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

Ok here's where I am now.

1. - I got the megamax on and the torque stuffer in, the header is back on, I don't know how I would tell if I needed that gasket before the header or not..., I put the outerwear on the K&N filter and put that in, but the top of the airbox now does not fit on because the top of the filter, at the mouth, comes up to high. I was thinking I should just trim the top and bottom flat parts of the filter, because it is a bit high for the hole in the airbox right now anyways. I think that will solve that problem. Anybody who has done that before let me know how it went for you.

2. - It didn't come with a full jet kit like I had expected. All they sent me was a main and piolet jet in a little baggie. I got a 147.5 main jet and a 50 piolet jet. I don't really understand all this though.

3. - The Megamax...and the quite core and disks...Will it affect the jetting. I am hoping to run the exaust open sometimes but also run it quieter when I am in places I don't want to make problems for myself. will it need to be rejeted just because of the number of disks that I run on it. I was planing to jet it completely open because putting on the disks/quiet core, could only make it run richer so it wouldn't hurt it. What do you guys think. Have you ever had any experience with a Megamax or any other pipes with disks.

4. - No the carb isn't the exact same as the warrior. I believe same model, mikuni, but the Wolverine is 34mm and the warrior is 36mm. The 1996 Wolverine had the 36mm, but experienced stalling and hesitation because it didn't get enough air, so it was downsized to a 34mm from 97 on.

4. - I can put more holes in the airbox if I want right, it will just affect how I jet it, but 5 or 6 instead of 3 1" holes shouldn't make that much a difference. I bought these Uni pre-filter things that have a plastic mesh across them, and then foam like on uni-filters so it isn't a complete open hole. They will probably take less air in that way so I figured 5 or 6 would be about equal to 3 completely open ones... does this sound logical???

No more questions thus far. i will work on getting the airbox setup and the filter into place better tomarrow evening and then hopefully jet on saturday afternoon. there is also a posibility of having it jetted at my local garage. They aren't just mechanics though they used to race Italian motorcycles I know So I figure I'll call tomarrow and see if they do that for cheap, and if they know how to. but I don't know yet.

Old 12-18-2002, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

Thats the same problem i had with the K&N so i used a utility knife and notched out the seams on the airbox lid and mines goes on smooth now. As for your jetting, you will need to experiment with it when changing all that stuff to see what runs the best, yours could be a different animal than mine, just keep one thing in mind and that is dont change too many things at once when dialing it in or it can be a big mess.

Quick Reply: JETTING MY WOLVERINE