Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Sprocket & Tires for Blaster

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 02:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sprocket & Tires for Blaster

I have an 01 Blaster mostly stock except for jets and opening the airbox some.

My question is this - I am getting new tires in a few weeks. I am either going to get 18's or 20's. My brother in law has 18's and he seems to get stuck more often than I do because of low ground clearance. I don't know if 20's make that much more difference or if I should go with the 18's to help acceleration. I don't have the money for a pipe right now so no other big power gains are in the near future.

Also - I would like to know how many teeth sprockets you guys are running with what tire size...we mostly race around the track and through tight trails/hills. Not to much drag racing so top end isn't my main concern...Thanks!!!

Old 12-17-2002, 05:00 AM
Pro Rider

use 20's on the back dude, 18's are too low. just go down one tooth on the front sprocket to adjust for the slightly smaller tires. it works great.

front spkt like $8 at rocky mtn atv

and start saving up for a pipe - it's the single biggest change you can make!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 12-17-2002, 11:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Cool. I think I'm going with the Fast Trekkers - best of both worlds at a fine price...woohoo. I could probably save the cash and get the pipe alone instead of the tires, but the bike handles like crap with the stockers on the rear and the shorter tires should give me a boost in tourqe to the ground. The pipe will definitely be next.

If anyone knows where I can get a good used pipe - maybe someone has taken off their FMF for a new Toomey...? If so let me know. Cya

Old 12-17-2002, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, if you go for a bigger sproket in the back acc. will be added. The rear sproket would probly be the one to change first since it is much larger and tends to wear and warp faster. You could swap in a bigger front also to add acc. Besure to get a strong sprocket so you dont lose any teeth under a hard hill climb. For the tires, i would get the 20's and hook 'em to your stock rims. Yes the 18's are way to low to do much of anything besides on the track. The new tires will give you a lot more stability around those quick corners and up long hills, plus you get added traction. Good luck...

Old 12-17-2002, 02:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds good to me...really I am after acceleration...I used to have a Quadzilla and I miss that kind of pull. Hopefully after the new tires, sprocket, and (someday) a pipe, I hope to get some respectable performance out of the bike.

Any idea how long it takes to change the spockets? I just checked Rocky Mt ATV and they are only $22 for the pair plus shipping...cheap performace.

Old 12-17-2002, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

With the proper tools it should take at most about 2 hours, if it does not come apart very easy. The side case on the engine i believe you must remove to acces the front sprocket. Have a large screwdrive and a good vice-grip handy. The rest is self explanitory. You also might want to use some lock-tite on the rear sprocket.

Old 12-17-2002, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

Howd you go from quadzilla to blaster?

Old 12-17-2002, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

ya go with the 20s for sure then toomey pipes when you have the money
just a note the stock tires are really more like 20s not 21 cause there ballonish and they compress
if you want more acceleration change the gearing

Old 12-17-2002, 07:56 PM
Trailblazer

I came home last night to a dark house, and saw UPS had delivered 4 new Maxis RAZR tires mounted on Douglas .190 rims to my front porch. I brought them in and put them under the tree. My wife comes home, she was expecting me not to see them, says they're to big to put in the living room, and tells me to "get them outta the house." PERFECT!!! They're already on the Blaster![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-18-2002, 09:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Haha! I wish my tires were already here and even under the tree - the good news is I ordered new sprockets and 20" Fast Trekkers last night...now the wait...

Peltrax - I had my Quadzilla when I was 21 (ten long years ago). The bike was fast, but too heavy and too big for my tastes. Also, being a newlywed at the time, we needed the money to make ends meet so it was the bike or my truck payments, and you gotta work, right? So I sold it and actually didn't buy a new one until about a month ago. Well now we've got two children and more bills, and I just couldn't bring myself to pay >$5500 for a bigger bike - so I'm on a Blaster. That's okay for now though it's still a lot of fun - more speed in the future...

Thanks for the info everyone, c'ya on the trails (or track)!!!!

Quick Reply: Sprocket & Tires for Blaster