Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A-Arms vs Shocks, which first

Old 12-29-2002, 09:58 AM
Range Rover

Alright guys,

In a complete tear down now on the raptor. Not sure how tight funds will be, if I have to get one or the other, is it a-arms or shocks. I'm gonna get extended a-arms, will stock shocks still work on those, or does the extended a-arms move the mounting point. Or vice versa, can I run new long travel Elka's with stock a-arms, I think I'd rather do the a-arms first since the machine is fully stripped.
Plus any opinions on A-arms.

thanks guys

Old 12-29-2002, 10:22 AM
Trailblazer

I would get shocks first. when I got my a-arms they said that they would not warranty the arms without aftermarket shocks. with widening the arms it creates that much more force on the shocks. BUT stockers will fit

damage

Old 12-29-2002, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

for the a-arms i would get roll design, or lonestar. and for the shocks i would get elka, or works. just my .02

Old 12-29-2002, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

I would definitely get the shocks first. If you get the Elkas with the SSD (zero preload), it will lower your front end down a couple inches and make it ~1-2 inches wider. You will have a MUCH better handling quad than you would with +2 A-arms and stock shocks. And the Elkas will work great when you decide to go with aftermarket arms. That's what I did.

RR1

Old 12-29-2002, 11:37 PM
Range Rover

I did Works w/ piggy back resis. first. Then the +2 arms. You'll tell quite a big diff. with just the shocks, but with the arms, it's a whole different story

Bronson

Old 12-30-2002, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

I didn't have any choice, I have to go with A-arms first (hopefully they're on the way now). My budget is kinda tight, but if I'm goint to spend the money for the shocks I want some good ones. What are the best shocks for the dollar on a tight budget.

Old 12-30-2002, 02:23 AM
Pro Rider

You might want to check out www.albaaction.com. I picked up a complete front end which includes Alba's Pro-comp +2+1 A-arms, Works Triple-rate shocks and Galfer steel-braided brake lines for just under $1000. I joined that up with Alba's Pro-series tie-rods and have been racing my Raptor for about a year with no problems what-so-ever. The shocks are built for the riders weight and my quad feels like a Trophy-Truck landing off of a tabletop. Excellent compression, excellent rebound!!! Good Luck!!!

Old 12-30-2002, 05:19 AM
Pro Rider

I put on wider A-arms first and continued using the stocker shocks.
Later I got Elkas.

I reccommend arms first. Its the best you can do for the bikes handling.
Suspension second. for ultimate handling!!!!

Old 12-30-2002, 09:18 AM
Range Rover

The machine is only going to be used for ice icing for the next couple of months, and I will be getting elka's to match rear one before the mx season opens in the spring. So for the time being I think the a-arms will be first. Don't need suspension yet for ice racing. Anyone have any reports on the gibson stuff yet, or is it not available. Thanks guys,

Quick Reply: A-Arms vs Shocks, which first