Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Another California Law...... Or could be other states as well.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 06:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another California Law...... Or could be other states as well.

I just found out, of course this could be my local dealer feeding me some Cr@p! That as of January 1st the park rangers and coastal rangers are going to start carrying a decibal meter and if your bike is over 96db then they can write you a ticket!! They said if its a factory pipe they wont give you a ticket but 95% of bikes I see are piped so what does that mean??? I think its a bunch of **** if you ask me.

I think Oregon has that law all ready but can some one correct me on this? If so, how do you get away from having a aftermarket pipe?

Old 12-30-2002, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

I'm From Northern Cali, and I havn't heard anything of the sort. I'm sure its not far away[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]. When we ride in Ore. I do a little hiding.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-30-2002, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

I talked with a blm park ranger at cycle show in Long Beach CA. He showed me the hand held meter and said that he personaly would only use it if someones pipe was obnoxiously loud. I voiced my opinion that the law was BS and just another nail in our coffin hammered in by some liberal conservency group. He agreed and was sympathetic.

It reminds me of the idiots who complain of airport noise when the airport was built first and they move into a track-home right under the flight path. MORONS!!!

Old 12-30-2002, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This noise rules for Calif have been posted for 6 months that I know of and maybe longer. But, I am sure that there are more people out there that don't know about it. what start's in Calif will come to the other states in a few years. the longer this one takes the better off some of us will be.

Old 12-30-2002, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

in oregon on the dunes where i ride the maximum allowable decibel level is 93 and there are rumors that it may be lowered to 90 at some point in the future so consider yourself lucky at 96 db.the possibility of 90 db some day concerns me because most factory systems are louder than that so i hope that the rumor stays just that.anyone concerned with noise on a four stroke might want to check out the FMF-Q-MUFFLER AND POWER BOMB HEADER when used together they provide a good power gain while not going over 93 db.i run the fmf sytems on my raptor and on my wifes 440 ex and we are very satisfied with the performance gains we achieved over the stock system.

Old 12-30-2002, 07:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CA. noise limits HERE

Old 12-30-2002, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

It is getting to be a joke.

A democracy perhaps but our level of freedom can be debated. We certainly don't enjoy the most freedom in the world any more. If you think you own your land, just try doing something to it. At best, you own the land directly beneath your house. I know Travis Pastrana got in trouble for having 20-30' mounds of dirt without a permit. You also can't just run a bulldozer through your land and knock all the trees down if you want. Also, you are not too free when it comes to raising your kids. The state can and will step in at the mere suggestion that you might be doing something they deem as unacceptable. Politics and politicians make me sick... I am still amazed after 200 years that we need new laws and regulations put on the books. They can't even enforce the ones that are there now.

/NotuRaptor

Old 12-30-2002, 07:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I just checked with the Oceano Dunes here in Calif and as far as BlueLeader's remarks were the same. They said that they would only if they were way obnoxously loud. They did in fact tell me though that they have the decibal meters with them at all times.

Thanks everyone and sixsixT for the link!!

Old 12-30-2002, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

Isn't a MBRP pipe lower than 96.

I'm glad I haven't been hassled about noise...................yet.

Old 12-30-2002, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

in oregon on the dunes the rangers will place themselves on a trail that is fairly narrow so that to turn around and leave without letting them do a soundcheck would make it seem as though you were trying to evade them .to place a soundcheck stop point on a trail in my opinion should not be legal and in fact may not be .i think next time the rangers stop me on a trail and ask me to do a soundcheck i will ask them if it is voluntary and if it is i am gone.on a busy weekend the rangers will walk through the parking lots and do a soundcheck on every bike that they see so this may be what is to come in california although i hope not.

Quick Reply: Another California Law...... Or could be other states as well.