Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

DYno testing Trinity 686

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 05:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DYno testing Trinity 686

I should clear my post up. I dont mean to be on Trinitys case. I feel that comparing dyno numbers is a waste of time and usually whoever owns the bike is going to be dissapointed. Ive yet to see a dyno chart race another dyno chart. Heck, Ill even get a dig in on my engine builder. I was told 70 hp at the rear, and I can guarantee that I aint got 70 hp anywhere! I dont want to see a dyno chart on my motor to know for sure!

But like King said, when your the tops, your gonna have people hate ya!

RoostKing

Old 01-07-2003, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider

Well I hat to inform you KingRaptor but 14mins sold that Trinity 686 a long time ago because it would not produce. His engine now is 100% CrayCraft, I felt that was a little missleading when you said his engine now started out as a Gen I Trinity 686.
OH, also KingRaptor it sounds like you have spent a lot of time and money with Trinity more than the average Joe. Could you be one of the chosen ones?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-07-2003, 09:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think were getting somewhere!

RoostKing...

Old 01-07-2003, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

you don't race dynos or flow benches

Old 01-07-2003, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

With my stock tires I did get in the mid 50's, But with all the extras I have I just taught the numbers would have been higher. The motor does hold 50 + hp from 6300 to 8500 rpms which I think is a very large power band that I am happy with.

I am not unhappy with Harry (Trinity) I am very please with his technical support. He is always returned my calls when not available and gave me many things to try which have been very helpfull. My motor will not produce the same hp with the humidity and heat that I have compared to being where Trinity is having much better air.

Old 01-07-2003, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

Ok, it's common knowledge that a stock Raptor makes ~ 34-36 horsepower, right? This was confirmed in the DW pipe shootout article. If that dyno on that day gave a believable reading of 35.6 RWHP for a stock Raptor, then we should be able to believe that the dyno charts for the piped Raptor are correct also. This means you can get 45-48 RWHP from a piped/jetted Raptor. Now you guys are saying that with thousands of dollars of engine work that it is hard for you to break 60HP. Is that because these super engines are not that much faster than one with stock internals (unlikely), or is it because the dynos you are testing on just don't measure the same way as the one Dirt Wheels used in their comparison (likely). Maybe those of you who are getting readings in the upper 40's and 50's should run a stock Raptor on the dyno right after your quad. Maybe it would only show 25 HP on that dyno on that day. If that were the case then you could feel happy that your money was well spent, and that you ARE making twice the HP of a stock Raptor.

I've only been riding for a year now. The Raptor is the first quad I've ever owned. I figured I would start with the best. I am planning on having my engine built this next year and I am just trying to get as much info as I can so that I know what to expect. Thanks.

RR1

Old 01-07-2003, 12:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Ernie is right, i no longer own that original 2001 raptor motor from trinity. We took that apart shoved a 12-1 piston and a web 736/737 cam. Took the head to another shop and he laughed at work performed. Misaligned valves and too much material removed from the combustion chamber. Started over with a 2002 motor and now i have one that will run. Not to slam Harry but who does the work in the back???

Old 01-07-2003, 12:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider

It is unfournate that you blew up. Blowing up usually results in faster stuff down the road.

Old 01-07-2003, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

I am SO glad I bought a Raptor AND started reading this board:-) FWIW, 14mins did me right on an airbox mod kit off ebay.

So, with a higher compression 686 piston, good porting/jetting, and web cam, anyone can have 63-70rhp?

Old 01-07-2003, 06:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

So, with a higher compression 686 piston, good porting/jetting, and web cam, anyone can have 63-70rhp?
the answer: HE!! NO..

And its not really Trinitys fault, It is the ALL aftermarket companies,AND our fault as consumers. It starts with Magazines like DW, saying that a pipe will give you 50!!hp,and then it snow ***** from thier.

What are shops like Trinity supposed to tell you, that their generation3 686 is only good for 50 "real world" h.p. when the buying public is going to say "we'll that kit sucks because I can get 50hp out of this BrandX pipe and jet kit."

Every shop is guilty of "padding" the h.p. numbers alittle, THEY ARE FORCED TOO!! People have been misleading themselves with their EGO's. " I have 65.hp!! my quad is the beast among beast!"

Agian, I am not ******* Trinity AT ALL, they are the very best when it comes to product and customer service.PERIOD. It is un-fortunate that they (like other great shops) are forced into a this #'s hipe to sell what is a great product.

And then people, get thier own Dyno's done and call BS!! and they have a right too, but like someone said earlier, Dyno sheets don't race!..... I feel sorry for harry, I bet he gets calls everyday with people saying "how come i only got x amount of h.p.???", yeah but did you beat your riding buddies like you had hoped????? ya!!, then you got what you payed for!! a reliable,RIDABLE fast quad.

I only know of one stock bore/and stroke quad that puts out 65-70 h.p. and it beats up on ALOT of BIG BORES, 760,686(with nitrous),727's. and it belongs to DSmike.

Biggerisbetter.

Quick Reply: DYno testing Trinity 686