Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

When your rad fan goes bad on your Kodiak

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 10:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When your rad fan goes bad on your Kodiak

Just wanted to post this so I could possible save someone some cash down the road. My radiator fan went on my y2k Kodiak and the dealer wanted $367 plus taxes Canadian!! HOLLY CRAP!! Over $400 for a little 12 volt motor!!! Time to do some inventing!!!

I took a trip to an automotive junk yard with my brother-in-law and pulled off a rad motor from a 91 Chev Sprint. It's about twice the size of the original but it's the same brand name (Denso). We used JB weld to put the motor on the kodiak fan housing and tacked in at a couple spots with the mig welder. The only problem was with the intake for the belt. All we did to fix this was to take a torch and heat up the intake and bent it to make the required room. The new motor works perfectly and it all cost UNDER $15!!!!!

Old 01-12-2003, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

I ran into the same problem the Kodiak fan. I posted several times over the last couple of years about performing preventative maintenance by jumpering the thermostat connection to force the fan on. The problem is for many is that the fan isn't used since the bike never gets hot enough to kick it on. On my Kodiaks, you would have to sit and idle for quite some time before the fan would come on.

On the last Kodiak I sold, the fan all but seized. I tried to order a new one but couldn't get it in fast enough. The guy only wanted the quad if it was ready in time for deer season. I took the fan off and turned the blade by hand for some time. I kept spraying it with WD40 and I sprayed electrical cleaner down the vent tube. After working it for about 30 minutes, I had it back in tip-top shape.

I've never really payed attention to the fan on the Raptor. Guess I should probably take a look at it. Just another good reason to let it sit in the garage if it is broken while I ride the 400ex. lol. My girlfriend started calling my bike OneRide and the name has kind of stuck.

/NotuRaptor

Old 01-13-2003, 08:11 AM
Pro Rider

Is there a way for me to test my fan besides letting it idle for a long period of time? If mine is not working I'd like to get it fixed b4 summer comes around.