Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

So there we were, sitting on this hill about 40 quads in all

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2000, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So there we were, sitting on this hill about 40 quads in all watching a half a dozen or so quads that had tried to pick a route along the power line and make it through the cat-tail marsh.

Suddenly, this driver on a brand new Grizzly with 27 inch vampires looks to the left and right and figures if nobody else is going to go for it he will. Down the hill he goes into the mire. With tires spinning (3 of them) and mud flying he came to a stop right along with the rest of the 3 wheelers, quad runners and Moto-4 machines.

Out of respect for our fellow ATVer the 40 of us just looked at each other and grinned.

Has anybody else witnessed this. Why do the Grizzlies get stuck worse than anybody?

Old 04-10-2000, 06:24 PM
Range Rover

After reading this I'm going to buy another sp 500 so that I can become a better mechanic and support my local Polaris dealer. The one thing I've learned about Polaris is you better like your dealer,because you'll be seeing alot of him.

Old 04-10-2000, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

Think THOR owns an XPLORER not SPORTSMAN. Hate to admit it but, most Grizzly owners I know charge right into the nastiest mudholes around. To bad they never even look to see if theres even a chance of makin it!

Old 04-11-2000, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

I do own a Sportsman but it is the older 400 model. (The 3 chained Harley Davidson of ATVs)

MNXPLORER,
I had to chuckle when I read your post. Because that is exactly what he did, charged right into the nastiest place available.

Have you been to the Squirrel Cage in Willow River?

And yes, the parts manager at the local Polaris dealerships are my new best friends.

Old 04-11-2000, 04:27 PM
Range Rover

I think having limited slip just mean we have more skill involved.the polaris desighn is ok but, it only kicks in when you start to spin, what if your going over rock, any stuff like that and you need 4 wd. also i would like to say that the reason yamaha owners get stuck is because we have no fear, i recently was dared to go in the nasties mudhole ive been in a while. there were to sportsmans, 2 bigbear 400s and my wolverine, guess who made it out no problem, the yamahas. the polarises had to back up and go around.
and also shouldnt this be in the polaris posts.

Old 04-11-2000, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

Thor, have eatin many times at the Squirrel Cage several times. Always on sled thou, those trails arn't open to wheelers are they? You ever ride in the Nemadgi state forest? We ride out of Nickerson alot in the summer, has great variety of mud and solid ground.

Old 04-14-2000, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

Yes there are trails that are open from Willow River to the north on both sides of the Interstate and up towards Moose Lake. Once you get to Moose Lake you can go for 110 miles on the trail to the west and I don't know how far on the trail to the north out of Moose Lake.

I have not ridden in the Nemadgi Forest yet.

I really like to ride in Bayfield, Ashland and Iron County, Wisconsin. I hate to say it but the locals and the DNR are more friendly toward ATVers than the Peoples Repbublic of Minnesota/Snowmobile Task Force.

Old 04-14-2000, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

At least he went for it, sounds like everyone else wussed out.

Old 04-14-2000, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider

I think Polaris folks here started this so I'll put my 2 cents in.
I know 3 co-workers who are Polaris owners. They are always complaining about something wrong.
One (95 400 Explorer) can't keep his Speedo working. It is FAST though.
Another is on his 3rd engine on a 97 SP500 model. A-arms & connecting joints on all of them are super fragile.
Brakes go fast.
If you miss a lube cycle or two you are really in for it.
The belts on these year models are real easy to let water in.
When they do run they really do run well.

My 00 kodiak has NO Grease fittings and don't need them.
The tie rods are good and reliable.
I can soak her in a deep creek with no leaks.
Yes it is a 3-wheel drive. I have no trouble making it work though. And I do wish Yamaha would make it a little less easy to slip.
Oh Yeah, The 3rd co-worker with 3 Polaris 400 Explorers has sold 2 and still trying to dump the 3rd. He will not sell them to any of us co-workers because he don't want any hard feelings on the job site.

Old 04-28-2000, 01:38 AM
Trailblazer

That is a lie! GRIZZYLY THE MOST POWER THEN ANY 4x4 with SWAMPERs I HAVE MAGAZINES with GRIZZYLYs getting into huge MUD HOLES!! And they Get out! So we know now that Thor Lied..GRIZZLY wouldn't have got STUCK! ESPECIALLY with SWAMPERS!!

Quick Reply: So there we were, sitting on this hill about 40 quads in all