Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What to buy RAPTOR 660 or LTZ400??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 02:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to buy RAPTOR 660 or LTZ400??

Just a thought. . .I went to my local dealer to buy a Z400, but was surprised to see that I could not get one for less than 6339 out the door. Yes, they "only wanted MSRP for the quad itself, but they tacked on all sorts of "additional fees" as they called it. I said no way and walked out. The sales manager followed me and asked me what the problem was. They lured me back in. I said how can I justify that for a 400 when I can get a Raptor for a couple hundred more. Ended up buying 2003 Raptor for 6200 out the door. I am very happy with it, but it is a little overkill since I am 150lbs. Check the price of a Z400 at the dealers before you choose, not magazines or advertisments.

Old 01-25-2003, 02:35 PM
Range Rover

Congratulations !!
The raptor is an awesome machine. Unless you ride MX It by for the best bang for the buck and the motor will last forever if you treat her right!!!!!!!!

Old 01-25-2003, 02:50 PM
Trailblazer

I too think that you should consider the raptor. I am 6'2" 220 and 34 yrs old it is a awesome ride. but i know our weight can help the front end feel light. Mine is hard to keep down when I have traction. Mine is pure stock 2003 and going to stay that way except for hand gaurds and shock covers. I mostly trail ride here in minnesota and wisconsin. The power is awsome and " no replacement for displacement." I dont know where Everyone lives but i got my raptor for 5986 out the door. Well good luck with your desicsion. Hope fully you enjoy what ever you buy and have good riding.

Old 01-25-2003, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

why dont you get somthing in the middle of the 2 like a PREDATOR

Old 01-25-2003, 05:51 PM
Range Rover

well the predator is new and I really want something with reverse. And a big thing of mine is i dont have to be the biggest and baddest where ever i ride i just want something i can have fun on and not hurt myself because it is too much.

Old 01-25-2003, 11:19 PM
Trailblazer

Get the Raptor, you won't regret it!

Old 01-26-2003, 02:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Slowwarrior, if you go and ask the same question on the Suzuki forum - you are going to get the complete opposite advice that you are getting here (maybe you have?).

First of all, I ride the Oregon dunes alot. I usually camp w/ a large group of riders that have a variety of quads. In our group there are several Z's (including mine - a green one only because I think it looks better than yellow), 400ex, Raptors - one very built excellent machine, of course Banshee's, and a variety of kids quad like blasters, lt 80's etc. We swap bikes frequently just for fun, so I have had the opportunity to put many hours on all of the different quads. Here is my opinion: Quads are like RV's, planes, boats, etc. - there is no perfect Quad. In other words, every one has an atribute the others don't have. However, there probably is a "best all around" quad for you. For me, the best all around quad is the Z. Reasons: Technology in the DRZ400 motor and tranny is superior, Handling is better in the Z - lower center of gavity and wider stock, liquid cooling = better performance over time and greater longevity. The most telltale point is, many racers are selling their 400ex's, Raptors, and believe this or not - even cannondales, to buy Z's because they believe Z's are the best platform to start building with. You can put the extra $1000 worth of motor mods in a Z (that you saved not buying a Raptor) and you will keep up with a Raptor in a drag, but kill it in any other course including mx.

When my group gets together at the dunes, we end up racing each others bikes and the result is this: Banshees usually beat everything in a drag. Z's win in the woods or mx. The Z even out performs the 400ex's wich have been known for great handling. When the 4 strokes race - the stock Z's will beat the stock Raptors through 3rd - 4th gear, then the Raptors take over and pull ahead a couple of lengths in 5th and 6th.

Don't think I am trash talking the Raptor. These are just my honest, objective observations. I was going to buy a Raptor last summer. Then I heard about the Z so I waited. I am glad I did. After I had the opportunity to ride and compare - I chose the green Z. If I had to chose between the the other 4 strokes and the Raptor, I would chose the Raptor. Only because of the big 660 engine and I think it is the best looking quad on the market.
But remember, there have been many mechanical problems with Raptors and the Honda has excellent suspension and reliability, so it was not an easy choice. Thank God for the green Z. With very little money, you can really wake-up the Z motor - because of the superior technology that has gone into the DRZ 400 motor.

One more point to Albabanshe. He suggested that you "get something in the middle like a Predator." I agree with his suggestion, but disagree with the idea that a Predator is "in the middle." Lets be realistic, a Predator (or cannondale moto) will out-perform a Z or Raptor in any type of riding. The problem is with the issue of reliability.

I just wanted to give you another differing, opinion. Good luck and enjoy whatever quad you choose.

Old 01-28-2003, 02:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Green I'm not sure what mechanical problems you are refering to.I've over 100 hours on mine and have only changed oil and kept the air filter clean.I ride track,sand and desert,so it has not been babied.The 01 had it's problems just like the Z.Every quad has growing pains,just like new cars.

Old 01-28-2003, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

I ride a Raptor and wouldnt trade it for anything else on the market, BUT I am very impressed with the Z

Both bikes have diss-advantages.

The stock raptor handles terribly.
The stock Z is seriously underpowered.

Both problems can easily be resolved.

Put a raptor on a track and you have a bike that has far too much power and is a beast to control. Its a bit like putting a formula one engine in a road car chassis.......scetchy to say the least (improve the handling and you have a winner). It is also a little on the heavy side.
On the trails the rappy is great because handling is not such an important issue there.
Put it in the desert or dunes and it will rock. Power is the key to these kinds of riding.

The Z is great for track. Its power vs handling capabilities are ideal and it is light and nimble. However the motor seriously lacks power.
It has no torque and you really have to get the revs up for it to perform. (put on a performance pipe and do some work on the motor and you also have a winner.) Also remember that once you mess with the motor, it will never be as reliable.

Neither bike is the perfect from the factory, but that perfection can be found at a price.

Old 01-28-2003, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying that you have to modify the bike. If you are a weekend warrior, stock bikes are perfect.
Be aware that you might not find the upgrade from a warior to a Z that big a step. Im not going to tell you what bike to get. Ride them both and have fun. Afterall that what its all about. Good luck.

Quick Reply: What to buy RAPTOR 660 or LTZ400??