Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

FSW Dyno Runs (Everyones)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 09:24 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FSW Dyno Runs (Everyones)

Wshrdskin,

So all you've got for the extra power is a stock bore 11:1 JE piston, stage 1 Hotcam, Alba pipe, K&N filter, and DynoJet jets? No head work? Are you running the full Alba system w/ head pipe? And are you using the DynoJet needles? Also, since I see you're only using an 11:1 piston, are you running normal 93 octane pump gas?

I'm curious, obviously, since it looks like you did as well as or better then most of the 686s, and with what looks like a significantly smaller investment.

Old 01-27-2003, 10:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, no headwork, yes, yes, 91 octane. I somtimes mix race gas with my 91 octane to get around 95-100 octane but I was on strait 91 octane during the Dyno. 91 is the highest octane I can get from the pumps in California. The piston and cam combo was the biggest jump in power I've noticed. The pipe/filter/jets made a great improvment over stock. The cam/piston was an even better improvment than that. imo

PS. The next best improvment I could get would be to lose 60lbs. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I think 60lbs less weight would get me more than headwork. jmo. Although getting my head ported might be easier than losing 60lbs. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I have no plans to do that anytime soon. The headwork that is.

Old 01-28-2003, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider

I have the same exact setup except a white bros. pipe and it goes very well. I have never put it on a dyno but I would have guessed mid to high 40's. I absolutely killed my buddy's Predator it was not even a race. I figured my HP was mid to high 40's so I could not believe the Predator was low 40's but after seeing Wshrdskin's dyno run with my setup I may have been mistaken with how much HP I now have. For a very reasonable price 300 and change for parts (piston, cam, and gaskets) if you already have a pipe and jet kit, you can get some very nice gains in power. I had the piston and stage 1 cam installed for $300 labor. If you go with this combo you will be very happy with the results!

Nocando

Old 01-28-2003, 12:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: wshrdskin
I think 60lbs less weight would get me more than headwork

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 01-28-2003, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

You ever think that maybe if you lost that 60LBS you'd get a little more headwork? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-28-2003, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

MAybe banshee chic would have gave him some...haha.anyways i am in the high 40's in hp i ran a 47 hp with a pipe and a jet kit and filter,i want to do the cam and piston and i think i will soon..hey Raptor660r Did they do a good job on tunning the bike and what size makuni jets are you running with that setup....

Old 01-28-2003, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

You ever think that maybe if you lost that 60LBS you'd get a little more headwork?
Well Dave? LOL

Old 01-28-2003, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

I am running the dynojet stage 2 kit with 148-150 jets 4th clip with the needle. I did the jetting myself and it runs great no flat spots pulls hard all the way through!

Nocando

Old 01-28-2003, 09:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

LMAO. I have in house headwork. No need to contract out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-29-2003, 01:45 PM
Range Rover

Wshrdskin,

That's pretty damn good, I'd say. I was seriously considering sending out my motor to a builder for a 686 kit, but it doesn't seem to be worth all the extra dough. Judging from the dyno runs, I couldn't see where the head porting made a definitive difference.

I have a few more questions for you.

Are you using the stock valves, valve springs, rod, clutch springs, and Yamaha gasket set?
Also, did the person who installed the cam "degree" it?

There's been much debate on this forum on these items, and your setup seems to be a good reference for those who are looking to keep costs under control.

Quick Reply: FSW Dyno Runs (Everyones)