Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 10:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FSW Dyno Runs (Everyones)

FSF,

Lets see,

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Also, did the person who installed the cam "degree" it?
I had Alba install the cam and piston when they fixed my broken transmission. If your talking of a degree key from say sparks or somewhere, the answer is no. If your talking about somthing other than that, then, I have no Idea.

I have an 01 Raptor with 02 gears.
Sprockets 12/41 for the dyno run. 12/42 now cause I like it better with 22" Haulers.
Dyno jet kit running 150/155 mains, needle clips 4th from top, fuel air screws 3 turns out left 3 1/4 turns out right.
Port matched intake boots.
No lid on the airbox. K&N pro design filter and flange. With outerwear.
Complete Alba pipe with 18 disks. Not the 12 that came with it.
11:1 JE piston.
Hotcam stage 1 cam.

I'm sure Alba used Yamaha brand gaskets etc.

Hmm, hope I didn't leave anything out.

To be fair to the Trinity quads I saw Dyno, they were jetted badly and they were working on them. They might have been good where they came from but I don't know. For my quads on 91 Octane the jetting looks perfect when I do plug checks. If I mix in 1-2 gallons race gas with 3-4 gallons 91 my plug looks lean. Race gas is expensive, so since I don't need to run higher Octane with my setup, I believe I won't run it anymore. I just like the way it smells, it doesn't seem to make the quad run any stronger to me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-12-2003, 12:22 PM
Range Rover

That's great info. Thanks Wshrdskin.

Old 02-12-2003, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

wshrdskin,
Where did you get the port matched intake boots or what did you have done to yours?

Thanks,

Old 02-12-2003, 05:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

When I took my head to trinity to get the bent valve replaced I left my Carb boots attatched and had them port match the boots to the head. It was like $30 or somthing. You can do it yourself if you have the right tools. Next time you have your carbs off, feel inside where they meet the head. They usualy don't match up very well. You just grind away the rubber boot portion to match up with the head openings is all. Make it a smooth transition.

Old 02-12-2003, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

Do you think port matching helps much? In other words, would a stock raptor motor with my bolts-ons benefit from this mod? If so, do you think I would need to rejet again or the air/fuel mixture remains the same and I simply get better flow?

Old 02-12-2003, 11:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

every little bit helps. I doubt that you would need to re jet.

Old 02-14-2003, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

Why did you run 12/41 gearing for dyno and with the 12/42 what is your top end like. I like to drag and looking to help with the lower end but I also don't want to drop the top so much I will get beat my kid (400ex w mods) on the sand highway. I tried just the 12 tooth up front and just not enough to allow me to go up the hill in 3rd. I also could loose 60lbs and spend that food money on mods. 02 rap w yoshi full system ,K&N design filter & flange w outerwear, dyno jet kit, stage 1 hot cam, w piston to be added. Lid on.

Old 02-14-2003, 11:12 AM
Trailblazer

I have a totally stock 02 Le. I have gone to a 12/42 and love it. Like you I could only run in 2nd up olds. Now I can string it out in 3rd and have to watch the front, as the front end is off the ground. When I havent been drinking I can carry the front tires about 4 inches off the sand and hit the revlimiter right at the crest. I weigh 190 and am running sand skates on the rear, stock tires on the front. Good tires for what I want. I also have the front shocks set as soft as they will go, and that really helped the handling in the sand. The rear is my next project. Still tring to figure out the best setting for the whoops.

Old 02-14-2003, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

With 12/42 how is your top end speed? I picked up a 42 to put on the back and will give it a try. As for whoops with alittle timing, give it gas and hold on. I did see a guy last weekend that went through the whoops so smooth with stock lookin shocks. His set up looked like it was real loose in the rear no real bounce and sat low when stopped. But he was not willing to share any info with me.

Old 02-14-2003, 12:27 PM
Trailblazer

My top end is still faster than I care to ride, ( of course I am 43 years old and a little smarter than I used to be) Obviously I dont know exactly what the difference is, but unless you ride wide open in 5th gear all the time, I think you will be happy. My ride seems to like 4th gear and half throttle for cruise. That still outruns everyone else I ride with, or at least they have to work their rear ends off to keep up over an hour or two of this. The pull at the bottom and midrange is considerably improved. Next will be a pipe and jets, I just dont know for sure which pipe yet. I like quiet. Also I am considering a 43 in the rear, mainly as an experiment.

As far as the rear suspension, I am sure you are right, in that I need to soften it up. Right now it is still as it came from the factory, and when I hit the whoops under full power with a 2nd gear launch, it goes ballistic, and does its best to climb through the air. It does an excellent job of launching its self. I am sure that a softer rear suspension will help. The only reason I didn't do it last time was I forgot my instructions, and I dont know what does what on this set up. I am used to harleys, not Raptors. Its obvious how to soften the spring, but compression and rebound dampening are a different story. Which is which and what way to turn to to do what. Rather than risk screwing it up royal, I elected to leave it alone and try to get it next time. I can tell you though that setting the front shocks soft, and going to the different sprokets, made it a whole new animal. I cant wait to get a pipe and do some tuning. But that will have to wait as I close on the new house in 2 weeks, so money will be tight for a while.

Quick Reply: FSW Dyno Runs (Everyones)