Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

No oil in the head

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No oil in the head

Sucks for me, I have to buy a new cam, new rockers, new rocker shafts and a new valve. The head was getting oil but not to the cam (bearings have oil but the cam was dry). Anyone have any ideas as too what would cause this? I cant even figure out how the head gets oil

Old 01-25-2003, 06:57 PM
Range Rover

were you having overheating problems a few weeks ago? I thought I saw a post on that. Could this have been when the problems started? sorry bud, that suks!

Old 01-25-2003, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

I was, but at that time I think it was lean. I just completely re did the top end with performance parts and put in an oil cooler. Anyone have any idea how oil feeds into the head?

Old 01-25-2003, 07:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If its like a Raptor, it comes in through the Cam itself. Theres an oil feed line that comes intoone end of the cam and comes out of the cam through small holes in just thr right spots to lubricate the cam lobes, cam races etc. maybe you had some of the holes plugged with yamabond from the valve cover?? maybe there was air in the system and the oil was not pumping through the motor?? Just some thoughts.

Old 01-26-2003, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

I see the holes in the cam, and they are all clear, but the inside of the cam is dry. Where does oil come up into the head? I dont see it on any of the parts diagrams, and there arent any holes for it. Does it come up around the head bolts?

Old 01-26-2003, 12:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm not familiar with Warriors. Thats why I was saying if it's anything like the Raptor. I was looking at Albas microfishe and the cam is different than the Raptor but, the view of the oil pump shows a delivery pipe on the side of the engine. If you have a service manual it should show all the oil lines and the direction of flow etc. Sorry I can't help more.

Old 01-26-2003, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

The manual dont show very much. It shows the pump and the hose, but it thats it, dosent show the oil passage ways [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-26-2003, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

Not real familiar with the oiling system on a Warrior, but when I had mine it had an air bleed screw on the top right rear of the head that I loosened at every oil change. After filling with new oil I started the engine and waited for oil to come out around the threads and then tightned it.
The other thing that comes to mind is if it oils thru the cam then the cam bearings have to have a hole than lines up with the oil passage coming up thru the cylinder and head (like the cam bearings in a V8), if the bearings were replaced and not oriented correctly everthing would oil except the cam.
When you placed the cylinder back on you noticed the oil rings on the line up pins, right ? This is the pressure passage. The return oil from top falls down the cam chain opening.