Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

blasters? whats the best things and worst things about a blaster? are they worth shedding the money for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 03:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blasters? whats the best things and worst things about a blaster? are they worth shedding the money for?

Hey 87 banshee, my wife has a 2000 blaster and it has disk in the rear and drums up front, is that what you meant to say. Didnt want to mis inform anyone about that is all. I would have to agree with justdragit, i like to ride her bike because i cant afford to buy a bike right now. but I have ridden a raptor and feel the difference even though its a heaver bike. you would be better off finding a 250 anything and work on getting used to it. because after a year on the blaster youll be looking for the bigger bike .

good luck

Old 02-03-2003, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default blasters? whats the best things and worst things about a blaster? are they worth shedding the money for?

My last quad was a 93 Blaster, and to be honest i dont miss it all. Everything about the quad was on a small scale. Yea sure its faster than my 03 Eiger, but im more into trail riding and casual stuff. If memory serves me right I paid 1400 used, with a FMF pipe and some maxxis razors on douglas rims. The bike was fairly quick but it vibrated like hell when crusing down dirt roads, the suspension sucked, and the brakes were an outright joke (thats even with a go kart caliper on the rear and custom braided hydraulic lines). Did i get hosed for 1400? Yes and No, I taught me how to ride, but i enjoy riding alot more on a larger quad. I guess its all in what your after, now im looking for a good trail quad for my wife, and i wont be considering a Blaster. The idea of kick start, no reverse, and being a two stroke just isnt something appealing to me or her.

Old 02-05-2003, 07:11 PM
Trailblazer

I just have to put in my 1cent, I am 124lbs 20yrs old, my 98 blaster does me just fine...it wont smoke a banshee it but i can keep up with most of my buddies on the tight trails we ride. its a good bike for my scrawny arsh. o ya did i forget to mention i got tag bars on it, lol, i hate the stock bars, o well, it doesnt seem i am making much sense, but anyways i like the blaster ALTHOUGH IT IS NOTHING NEAR A Z400, 400EX, OR GAS GAS. that just irritates me when people say it is a kids bike. if only they would ride with me!!!!!!

Old 02-05-2003, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

My first quad was a Blaster. Well, actually it was a '86 Moto4 80. That thing kicked some serious booty. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I then got the Blaster, and since then I've had other quads. The Blaster is a very fun bike to throw around. Put a pipe on them, get rid of those crappy ballon tires on the back, and it will be a great quad. The brakes are crap, except on the 2003 models where they went to discs in the front. If you crave power, you might want to look for something else. I've never had a problem with mine, no overheating, etc. I sold it a few years ago to a friend, and as far as I know it's still running on the original piston, no problems yet. Just to be safe, we are going to rebuild it here soon and bore it out, put in a Wisco piston, V-Force reeds, Toomey pipe kit, and a oil injection block off kit. Bottom line, they are great bikes, the best bang for your buck.

Old 02-05-2003, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

Oh, and by "if you crave power" I meant that if you rode in the sand dunes. I rode my in the trails and it was fine, plenty of power. The dunes will suck the power right out of your quad, so if you ride in the dunes a lot, you might want to consider something 400cc's or bigger.

Good luck!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-05-2003, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

hey when your comparing its all about the rider not to brag or anything cause i'm no pro but in the ice race i was at with a toomey pipe 18inch tires and 14/38 gearing i could keep up with 2 of the 400ex's there with 20inch tires i am assuming stock but maby it had a pipe i dont' know
in my last run i stayed ahead of them for 2laps and then i followed him for 2 laps. but i could keep up with him if i kept everything pinned he was a little older then me but ii must have been a little more experienced because his went faster i was suprised tho in the striaghts he was barely inching ahead never had a drag or anything i could just tell when i was following him. you can't go wrong with a blaster and it has to be the best quad to learn on he's a bigginer you don't throw bigginers on 2 big of machines or they will just end up hurting themselves and end up going away from the sport but thats just my 2 cents lata
-cory

Old 02-05-2003, 10:33 PM
Trailblazer

i have had my share of quads ..and i have had a few blasters when i was a kid ..(cheep)but now that im older ...picture this ..someone just gave you a moped ..for free ...around 10:00am..and your riding it pretty much all day..then a school bus full of your friends drive by and see you riding the thing..not a great feeling...think about it..you wanna ride with a bunch of raptors and banshees or z400s..unless you about 4.11 and about 95 pounds...thats my way of seeing it...but they do run forever...

Old 02-06-2003, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

I keep hearing people say it has crappy suspension and motor and to look elsewhere,but for the price nothing can touch it.IT takes 1600 dollars more for a bike that competes with it and you have to put out about 2500$ more if you want a real performance atv

Old 02-06-2003, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

i just bought 2 and i have a DS650...

Old 02-07-2003, 04:06 AM
Range Rover

look Peltrax you can get a used banshee or 250R as i mentioned for the price of a blaster. and i would much rather have something a few years old that is fast than something new that is SSSLLLOOOWWW in my opinion. i would rather turn a 250R into a bad mother myself.JMO don't get offended.

Quick Reply: blasters? whats the best things and worst things about a blaster? are they worth shedding the money for?