Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

another raptor carb boot question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another raptor carb boot question

i went riding on the dunes today and had my carb boots blow off again .what is a permanent solution to this and what causes this .it seems like the angle of the carbs to the boots is off so that they are under pressure to begin with has any one else noticed this.i also have heard that adjusting the idle speed up slightly will help, mine seems to have a problem when i start it and it backfires slightly.i will try regular hose clamps because that has been suggested to me before on this forum.i think setting the idle up may help because it seems to just a little slow and this probably causes the backfiring.the word( backfire) may be the wrong term to use since it is more of a cough or hesitation.any ideas would be appreciated.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 02-02-2003, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

mine have only popped off once since i've had mine,and i adjusted the idle speed like you mentioned haven't had the problem since.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-02-2003, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

I had it happen 3 times in one day and thought I never would get back to the truck. Besides jetting richer, turn idle screws out 3 turns (you may have to take the carbs off to get to them or have a very short screw driver). (If you do have to take them off, might as well rejet while you have them off). Then take a nylon tie strap and stap from between the carbs to the brace across the heads. Mine has not popped off now in over a year and a half. I give the credit to the nylon strap.

Old 02-05-2003, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Altho, I have not had this happen in the almost 2 years I've had my 2001,in talking with my Yamaha mechanic recently, he said the problem has occurred when the idle RPMs are too low. He raised my idle slightly and it has also reduced the tendency to backfire when cutting the throttle quickly, as on downhills even tho my jetting was spot on.

Old 02-05-2003, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

Yea run the idel kind of hi,she likes it like that....

Old 02-05-2003, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

Different hose clamps works well. Make sure you chrome them first!!!!!!!!

Old 02-05-2003, 08:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

LOL 33

Has anybody tried the UPP carb boots?

The idle was my biggest problem. Plus a little on the mixture screws.

Old 02-05-2003, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

WARD660R-i have the UPP carb boot/ manifold set up ordered and they should be here before the weekend so if i get them installed in time for the weekend dune trip i will let you know how they perform.it looks like i am going to have to remove the plastic and air box and carbs to get at the manifold and boots does that sound right to any one who has done this or can i get to them without removing everything i mentioned?

Old 02-05-2003, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Man I must be the most gentle rider out there, my 01 has not given me any lick of trouble especially with the known problems they have. Maybe I should look again at the title to see if I have an 02. .........Nope, it's an 01, now I'm knocking the hell out of this piece of wood. I did recently quit using reverse, I heard this might extend the life of the 01 tranny.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-05-2003, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

Ward, I will have the UPP set up on the new quad. It will be here thursday. I went with the UPP stuff because I can gold plate it all.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: another raptor carb boot question