Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need help with the kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 10:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with the kill switch

Originally posted by: AlkyBurninX
No problem. FIrst off, what kill switch are you using? Pro-design, emgo, etc?

The coil is what builds the high voltage needed to make the spark plug spark. To find the coil, trace the plug wire from the plug to a black box. It is normally circular or half round, etc. I am a banshee man and have never messed with the raptor. The plug wire comes out of it so it isn't hard to find. There should be two wires going to the coil from the wire harness. One should be black and the other is orange. The black is negative and the orange is positive. If your kill switch has one wire longer than the other (pro-design), tie the longer one into the orange wire. The other wire goes to ground. It is best to put a ring terminal on it and put it through a bolt that goes into the frame. Such as the bolts that hold the radiator on. Make sure it gets good contact with bare steel.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DOES THIS METHOD WORK WITH THE EMGO TETHER SWITCH ALSO.

2003 RAPTOR

Old 05-27-2003, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with the kill switch

Blazin,
The emgo is made to plug into the key switch circuit. The ends can be cut off and wired like the Pdesign. However, the PD kill switch is far superior to the Emgo. The rubber on the tether quickly cracks and won't stay on. With the emgo, you WILL hit the switch with your knee, tree limb, etc and kill the engine (I know because I tipped during a TT race and bumped the EMGO switch with my knee and knocked the tether off). The PD will only disconnect by pulling on the tether. Also, the design of the PD is more resistant to dirt and water and seems to be more dependable. It is also available in colors.

MSD makes a really trick looking billet kill switch. I also heard pingry makes one.