Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need help with the kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with the kill switch

Could someone tell me how to wire a tethered kill switch to my Raptor. Thanks.

Old 02-03-2003, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

One wire goes to the positive wire that goes to the coil. It should be orange. The other wire goes to a good ground.

Old 02-03-2003, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

Could you be a little more specific. I haven't had the quad long and I'm not sure what the coil is.
Please forgive my ignorance, but I don't want to screw it up.

Old 02-03-2003, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

No problem. FIrst off, what kill switch are you using? Pro-design, emgo, etc?

The coil is what builds the high voltage needed to make the spark plug spark. To find the coil, trace the plug wire from the plug to a black box. It is normally circular or half round, etc. I am a banshee man and have never messed with the raptor. The plug wire comes out of it so it isn't hard to find. There should be two wires going to the coil from the wire harness. One should be black and the other is orange. The black is negative and the orange is positive. If your kill switch has one wire longer than the other (pro-design), tie the longer one into the orange wire. The other wire goes to ground. It is best to put a ring terminal on it and put it through a bolt that goes into the frame. Such as the bolts that hold the radiator on. Make sure it gets good contact with bare steel.

Old 02-03-2003, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

I have a pro design. The instructions say if your bike has a battery, tap the long wire into the positive part of the stator. I don't know, it didn't make sense to me. Does the Banshee have a battery because what you said makes sense.

Old 02-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

No the banshee is kick start only so there isn't a battery. I remember now reading about using the switch with a battery, but I don't know what difference it would make. To me, you are grounding the spark which should kill the engine.

I know others have run this switch on their raptor. Maybe they will chim in.

Old 02-03-2003, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

I put Pro design on my Raptor and Done exaclty what Alky said... Hook to a good ground and then to the ornge wire on the coil. On the raptor it will be on the left hand side (sitting on the bike) under the front fender. When you ground it in this way all you are doing is cutting the fire going to the plug... no fire no run!!!

I know what you are reading and I took the instructions and tossed them as far away as I could and then hooked it to the coil.

Old 02-03-2003, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

The instructions that come with the Pro-design are crap. I even called Pro-Design and had them try to explain it. Do it the way everyone here says. Had mine working in less than 10 minutes!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-03-2003, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

Damn, I was right for once[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

Theraptorman, I see you had trouble with that TA. Was it possibly due to tranny problems? I have a friend that kept blowing the auto tranny in his. I think he went through 5 before the warranty was up! GM said that it was because "He wouldn't let out of the throttle before upshifting". Hello! Its an automatic! What do they expect people to buy a TA for anyways?

Old 02-04-2003, 08:27 AM
Pro Rider

Alky... Mine started to burn oil after the first oil change... I was told it was NORMAL!..
Mine was the six speed, never had a problem with the tranny.

I had to go through the GM "oil consumption test" it ended up it was burning around a quart of oil every 700 miles. They rebuilt the engine and the problems kept getting worse.

I will say this though that was the fastest, best handling stock car that I have ever been in! I actually had the car of my dreams, but as the story goes dreams are made to be shattered. I have now went back to Ford "which is what I traded in for the TA" and am very happy again. I will say this though its not quite as trilling when I push down on the pedal though!

Quick Reply: Need help with the kill switch