Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What kind of race fuel does everyone use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of race fuel does everyone use?

I need a good brand of race fuel to use, and a good brand of oil. I have a friend that is a fuel specialtist with a degree in Chemistry. he knows his stuff. The local race fuel around here is called Trick. Acording to him, trick is the same exact thing as VP, Sunoco, H&H, and Turbo Blue. he says that they are all just different dye colors. Phillips 66 race gas, which is an oxygenated fuel, is what he told me will give me the best results. For oil, he told me to run some stuff called Torque-o TR4. anyone heard of it?

Also, you alky runners, he sells 3 kinds of Alky, a natural gas based Alky, which is solid pure methanol, pretty expensive, about $135 for a drum. He says that's what the nascar, and drag guys run, etc. He also sells an imported Alky, which he says is ok, but not as pure, and also a US made alky, that he says is similar to the imported. Anyone have any opinions on this? For a top-end lube, he suggests a product by redline performance. he says to mix it 1oz to 5 gallons. He claims it is 10x better than buenol.

So now that everyone knows what the chemist's opinions are, what are yours?

Old 02-03-2003, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

My favorite race fuel was Torco. Now I have switch to B32 (Phillips) and will never go back. I think Turbo Blue is the worst. Sunnoco is pretty good, and I have never tried any offerings from VP.

I buy my alky from a local sprint car racing friend. Knowing him, it is the best.

I still like Klotz Uplon Fuel Lube. I have tried Manhattan oils and a few others, but the Klotz mixes very well with the alky and race gas.

Old 02-03-2003, 09:55 PM
Trailblazer

i am running vp red with klotz supertechniplate oil and it works for me. there is also powermist that is also good but it fries your engine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 02-03-2003, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

F&L 111 mixed with 91 pump gas.

Old 02-03-2003, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

AlkyX, what octane are you running? Did you have to make any jetting changes for the phillips, since it is an oxygenated fuel, compared to the Torco?

Old 02-03-2003, 10:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Adam- your chemist failed. Nascar does not run Alky. Unical76 provides fuel for all the nascar races. (free of charge)

Torrcoaddative fuel- I have run it for a while but it leaves a BUNCH OF DEPOSITS.

I now run VP RED and i plan on running that for a while

Old 02-03-2003, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

AdamsBadDS650, I was running the 110 octane Torco in my 273 big bore (sounds kinda funny when I am talking to you guys with 650DS's and 660Raptors[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]) in my 250x. I also ran it in a XR dirbike. I then went to alky and sold the bike and didn't need race gas for about a year.

My dealer that had it went out of business, and another dealer/friend talked me into the B32. I was having problems with the Torco keeping and with having to tweak jetting with each barrel I would buy from. Typical race gas problems. The B32 has performed flawlessly and I know my jetting will be dead-on each time I fire it up. I am thinking it is 114 octane?

Since I haven't run both in the same engine, I couldn't really tell you any difference. I have a friend that runs Sunnoco only in his drag chevelle and he is having the jetting problems I had. I can't convince him to go with B32.

Old 02-03-2003, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

I prefer VP Red myself

Old 02-04-2003, 01:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Exactly, the higher the octain doesnt mean its a better fuel or that it will perform the best. We run 110 ERC in our bikes for our gasser's and have yet to have any deposites or any ring failure. With our gas bikes we run castor 927 or redline. For our methanol bikes we run pure methanol in our bikes with redline. Never seized or scarred any of our motors, and they are all drag motors. We arent very nice to our engines [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] but they all hold up and never leave us scratching our heads.

Old 02-04-2003, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, I found a fuel for me. Now I need a oil. I have been running Castrol Syntec 10w40. Should I step up to something else? I change my oil quite often, so nothing over $7 a quart. I thought maybe I should use a 20w50 oil.

AlkyBurninX, B32 is 110 octane. B34 is 114 octane. they make up to a 118 octane, which I think is B42

Quick Reply: What kind of race fuel does everyone use?