Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Scrambler vs. Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler vs. Raptor

I own a scrambler and a raptor. The scrambler is a very easy bike for any novice to ride, never in the wrong gear, never gets stuck, plenty of ground clearance. A nice leisurely ride. The Raptor is a rocket. It's lighter, faster, easier to jump and is more exilerating to ride. The scrambler is nice, but I spend 90% of my seat time on the raptor.

As far a getting stuck - the scrambler gets stuck a couple times a year. Usually because it slipped into a rutt and wedged against the wheel. The raptor gets stuck a couple times a day when riding in the woods. It only has around 4.5" of ground clearance at the swing arm, so hangs up on large rock or many ruts. You really have to pay attention to where your riding in the woods to avoid those obstactles (the scramblr doesn't care and just powers through them all).

Most embarrassing moments - riding quads puddles. Sometimes there's a small rut in the middle of larger puddles and the raptor gets stuck. You're high and dry and have to wait for the scrambler to pull you out. It helps if you get up some speed to 'glide' across obstacles - but be prepared for a bath. The raptor fendors offer very little splash protection (the polaris offers great splash protection).

Old 03-26-2003, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

Get a 400 Scrambler and spank that raptor.

Old 03-26-2003, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

Oh good lord!!

Old 03-26-2003, 02:40 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 400 Scrambler. My buddy that I ride with most of the time has a Raptor. We hang together pretty well. In top speed I can not stay close at all. He pulls away and keeps going. On the other hand, most of the riding we do is muddy, wet, hilly, rough trails. This is where I have a very definite advantage. I am pulling him out more than we are riding. I am not knocking the Raptor. It is a very powerful quad. His draw back is the low clearance of the back axle due to smaller tires. He gets hung up alot in ruts, etc. In picking one or the other, it depends on what you will use it for. I can not go back to 2 wheel drive again. I like the Scramblers because they are the best of both worlds. They are sporty enough to hang with the guys and you can flip the switch in sticky situations.

Old 03-26-2003, 03:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Hi, I’m a newbie here, but I might be able to help a little with this.
I just recently traded a 2003 scrambler 500 4x4 for a 2002 Raptor. As was said before, there really isn’t any comparison between the two. They are very different animals. I agree with everyone that you should definitely ride both to be able to make the right choice. Like a dumba$$, and being new to the whole quad thing, I made the mistake of not trying before buying and really regretted it. The scrambler was not the right quad for me.

The scrambler is great for trail riding and mud. The auto trans is definitely a benefit in tight trails.
The biggest draw back of the Scrambler is the weight, a lot of it being in the front, which makes it harder to keep the front end up if you are jumping it or riding mx.

The Raptor is definitely more powerful, faster and alot lighter, especially in front (wheelies are no problem)! My first time on the Raptor, I was really intimidated because of what I had heard about it, but once I rode it, I was hooked! The shifting isn’t really a big deal once you get used to it. The biggest draw back of the Raptor I think is the high center of gravity, but that can be fixed. I’ve also noticed that the Raptor doesn’t like water very much (at least mine doesn't). We have to cross a creek to get to our usual riding spot. It’s usually anywhere from about 2 to 3 feet deep. The first time I went out there, the creek was running a little high. I thought I was going to get stuck, luckily, I didn’t. Like skramblr said, you will get wetter and dirtier with the raptor, but if you put some nerf bars on, that will take care of some of the dirt and mud flying up. I wouldn’t recommend it for deep mud either.
They are both good quads and perform very well for what they were meant to do.
So I guess it all boils down to personal preference and which one you feel more comfortable with.
Just don’t make the same mistake I did, try them both first!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 03-26-2003, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

If you want an auto similar to the Scrambler and the power of the Raptor, then look at the 700 V-Force.

Old 03-26-2003, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

That is another option. Check into those before you make any decisions. It may be the best of both worlds for you, minus the 4wd of course.

Old 03-26-2003, 06:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what you described youd like to do, you need a scrambler, or similar 4x4 quad. the raptor will be faster, and more sporty no matter what you do. but if you are going to frequent mud and sloppy terrain, the raptor probably should not be your choice. the ultimate 4x4 in my opinion is a prarie 650. it really is close to the raptor in speed (somewhere around 400ex/z400 speed) and it will go through just about everything except for really deep mud. the best mud only machine i have been on was the grizz 660, but the prarie was nicer and faster most of the rest of the time.

you need to really evaluate what you ride in. unless you need to be able to do 45 mph in tight trails, you probably would be better off with something that doesnt get stuck as easily.

Old 03-27-2003, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

hannahj,

Climbing hills is not just about power.

I wouldn't say that the Raptor is the best hillclimber either. I have owned both machines. I would say that suspension, weight, and lower center of gravity have a huge factor in deciding which is a better hillclimber.

250R's and Banshees are high up on that list for the reasons above. I rate them above the Raptor, just because the Raptor sits higher.

The Raptor would be ahead of the Scram for those same reasons. It's not just about power..... And I wouldn't say that this is the holy truth either, because if you would show me a 45 degree hill in the woods that was a muddy slick, the Scram would probably make it up faster. But make that hill steeper with a little more traction, more ruts, roots, bumps, holes, and the Rap will make it to the top, and the Scram will tumble to the bottom. Ahem, been there, done that.

RM

Old 03-27-2003, 02:50 AM
Pro Rider

I've rode a Scrambler 500 4x4 for over a year now. I haven't rode with a Raptor yet, but almost all my riding has been with a 400EX. The only thing the Scrambler doesn't do as well is run a track and jump. I did, however, take it to the dunes last year and it will do anything the EX will. It was never low on power no matter how big the dune was and I let 'er fly just as far as I could over those dunes. Let off the gas before you hit the ground and the Scram just begs for more.
Hill climbing is one of the most fun things to do on this machine. It is so powerful and confident it feels like you can go up anything. I don't even stand up anymore, just give it enough throttle and enjoy the ride. The front end is glued to the ground.
I like the sporty ride and I couldn't do without the true four wheel drive. My friend drags his EX out of a rut and the Scram just charges right on through. It also pulls stuck quads out of the mud just like a utility.

Quick Reply: Scrambler vs. Raptor