Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Scrambler vs. Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler vs. Raptor

I AM not trying to start an argument, just need some help. I was looking at a 500 Scrambler 2003, however whent to the Yamaha dealer just to look around and saw a nice new 650 Rapor for $5,500. Nice price, I 've always been a Polaris lover however, but the Raptor got me thinking. Could anyone help me out with comparison, besides there's no 4x4 and it's a clutch. I do like to go through alot of mud and water however and I am used to the automatic. My questions is, with the more power will I need 4x4 in the mud and will the clutch get annoying in the trails considering I am so used to the auto. I've also heard that the stock Scrambler and Raptor are almost the same top speed, not sure if this is true. I know the scrambler is a heavy bike, I do like to jump, but I dont think I'm ready for the heavy jumping that the Raptor is cabable of.

Thanks

Old 02-12-2003, 11:18 AM
Range Rover

once you go clutch... It will take you some time to get used to it. Raptor is a VERY powerfull machine, and deserves respect compared to scrambler. All in all it will be your choise, But i replyed because I was going to buy a scrambler 500 4x4. I liked that machine, but then I rode the Raptor and then there was no turning back for me. imagine your scrambler smaller, lighter, and twice the power... Ride a raptor is all I can say. That will settle your mind and push you one way or another.

Top speed scrambler does not come close to Raptor. Raptor is much faster than scrambler all the way around.

Old 02-12-2003, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

its probably a 660 raptor you mean, and If you want to ride mud or are too lazy too rip around then you will like the scrambler, the raptor is more fun on my decision, i dont own either of them I am gonna leave this to the pro's!

Old 02-12-2003, 11:27 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Man oh man....

If I had to get rid of one, it would be a hard choice.

Ill get back to ya

look at my pics

Old 02-12-2003, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

Boy, talk about comparing apples and oranges.

I dont see how you can really compare the two they are built for completely different things. The raptor is a sport quad in the real sense of the phrase. The scrambler is a 4x4.

It just depends on what your intended usage is. If you want to go mudbogging the 4x4 will make you happier. If you go hunting and want to haul out your carcass, the 4x4 will fit your needs better.

The raptor is a fun machine, and that price seems good, if they dont tack on a bunch of fees.

In the end it just depends on whether you want a sport machine or a 4x4.

Bat

Old 02-12-2003, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

I wold love to have bolth, maybee in the future, but if you could compare the two, does on get stuck more then the other??

Old 02-12-2003, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider

The raptor will get stuck in the mud a lot easier!!When it comes to climbing hills the raptor will hold its own because it has more power ,unless its really slippery

Old 02-12-2003, 04:23 PM
Range Rover

Raptor for reliability for sure.
Scrambler 4x4 for deep mud.
All i can say is DO NOT buy a scrambler until you have ridden a Raptor!

Old 02-12-2003, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

Just a note: The top speed of that Scrambler will be very close to a Raptor.

You don't ride a Raptor in a mud pit. But you don't jump a Scrambler either (or not to high or far).

The only area where the Scram will beat a Raptor is mud/snow.

I can climb 99% of what a Scrambler can climb (There might be a hill with some really nasty switchbacks that only a 4x4 could make). But I would like to see the Scram climb some of the stuff you climb with a Raptor. Long, steep, bumpy, ruts, etc. Scram would never make it up. Only back down, and hopefully it doesn't roll too many times.

I owned a 96 Scrambler 400 4x4 so I know what I am talking about. The Raptor kills it in climbing 99% of the cases. The Scrambler will totally kill the Raptor in mud and ice. Put ice racing studs in the Scrambler, and don't look back.

But, it only makes a difference if that is what you are into riding.

It's your choice. Stick around, read some more, and make your own choice........

RM

Old 03-26-2003, 10:08 AM
Range Rover

rennym i do not see where you think the scrambler wont keepo up with the raptor on long hill climbs or bumpy all you have to do is hit the gas and go up the hill it has more than enough power to make it up any long hill your raptor can

Quick Reply: Scrambler vs. Raptor