Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Engine Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 03:58 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Engine Vibration

I just bought an 2001 Raptor. When I test rode it, it had a very loud muffler on it, so when I rode it, it seemed to run just fine. I just put on the stock muffler to quiet things down, and now when I rev the engine all I hear is excessive vibration and noise throughout the chassis. Is it supposed to be like that? I haven't ridden an ATV with an engine this big before, but I can't imagine this is normal.

I checked all the engine mounting bolts and they were all tight. I can't seem to pinpoint anything lose that would cause this. I just drained the fuel and put in new gas. That didn't help, in case the engine was knocking. Could the timing be off? Is it even adjustable? I don't have a service manual yet, but one is in the mail. How much vibration would the engine have if the counter balance weight came lose? Maybe the key broke. If that happened, would it cause so much vibration there would be no doubt?

Thanks.

Old 02-15-2003, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

Does it have a metal skid plate??? I know those seem to amplify engine noise a little.

Old 02-15-2003, 04:12 PM
Range Rover

It does have an aftermarket swingarm skid plate and the cheap plastic one under the engine.

Old 02-15-2003, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

It was just a thought, I was thinking maybe you had an aftermarket under the engine. I put one on my DRZ when I had it and I heard alot more engine noise.

Old 02-16-2003, 04:44 PM
Range Rover

Anyone else? I just rode my Raptor on the trails and 2 hours after riding my hands feel like they are still shaking. Do all Raptors have this vibration in the handle bars? Help me out here....

Old 02-16-2003, 07:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Mine hardly vibrates at all. The timing is not adjustable, unless your chain skips a whole tooth. I don't have a clue about the counter balancer though. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

Old 02-16-2003, 07:39 PM
Trailblazer

I just bought a brand new Raptor and rode it for the first time yesterday at the dunes, I noticed a little vibration, not too bad, and I also noticed some noise , I am not sure where it was coming from, I stopped and checked it several times and could find nothing. It sounded like something vibrating on mine. I think I am just paranoid. It seemed to run fine.

Old 02-16-2003, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

Check if all of the motor mounts are tight, if they are just a hair loose it will vibrate badly. Tighten the hell out of them.

Old 02-16-2003, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer

Mine vibrates too. Single cylinder motors tend to vibrate more because there isn't another piston and rod to counterbalance the other. This is especially noticeable on the 660 because it's such a large displacement engine that revs really high.

Old 02-16-2003, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

If your still using the stocker handle bars, they don't seems to help much. A good set of bars makes a world of difference!

Quick Reply: Raptor Engine Vibration