Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine to buy or not????

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine to buy or not????

CTATV is very correct I didn't really get in to much detail on my post but when I think of mud riding I think of the guys that have snorkels and try to make there atv submarines. I have been in mud that covered my tires and made it out but the consitancy was not really thick. I have been in mud just up to the rim that I had to get pulled out because it was the kind of mud that you had to be careful not to lose your shoes in. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

The 95's I believe are the only year they had the bigger carb.

I ride with warriors and other 2wd sport quads and the only time they can pull away is on long straights. But as soon as wee get back in the woods I am quickly on there heels. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Good bike. I wish Yamaha would update and make it a 400cc-500cc machine with a sporty suspension and 5speed tranny

Old 02-19-2003, 01:18 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks CTATV!
The quad sounds like something I want to own.If I want to go fast, I'd have a draggster or airplane as a hobby. This "playing in mud" thing intrigues me. I'm from Arizona, and mud is in pretty short supply.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Q!}I guessing the suspension is more cushy [softer?] than the Honda rancher? The rancher got high marks in recent magazine article, but that was controlability at high speeds and rock hopping, not how sore it makes your back... Please rate the ride again, I've not ridden "sporty" Warrior over anything but sand. I feel the Warrior has a softer ride over bumps than the Big Bear.

mmmm Q2} does it have engine breaking like Kodiak, artic cat, etc?

Thanks again for the straight skinny. Dusty

Old 02-19-2003, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

I never rode a Rancher but I wouldn't think it had a cushier suspension. The Wolv has more suspension travel than most ATV's in its class. I don't think it is a real rough ride but it depends on where you ride. On the track the suspension will pack up on you, in a whoop section. But for trail it does fine.

The Wolverine has a 5 speed semi-auto tranny (no hand clutch but still need to shift gears) the engine breaks in what ever gear you are in. The engine breaking only aplies to automatic 4-wheelers. I think this is what you are asking about?

Old 02-20-2003, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider

it's not a cushy suspention. It has a lot of travel and although I have never jumped it higher than 3 or 4 feet (more than I would reccomend it is not a great stadium jumping machine) I have never topped out my suspention. It is much more plush than the Honda 300 4x4 with almost twice the ground clearance and twice the travel, I don't even know if they make the 300 any more but that is what I compared to the wolv when I was deciding what to get: for engine braking that is only an "option" that needs to be had with an automatic. all manuals and semi-automatics (wolverine) have engine braking, it's called downshifting. same as in a car when you shift into a lower gear whether it be auto or manual (that is cars). so yes it does have it. It also has disk brakes, no skidding with this 4x4 the brakes only work for stopping. only weakness in the brakes is the solid disk in rear. it is disk but I will be sure to get one of the waivered/drilled disks when mine is worn out. the front brakes lasted quite long but the backs go relitively quickly ( more on one pad than the other because the design squeezez more from one side I forgot the technical name

Sorry, back to the ride. I think there are softer rides out there it is on the stiff side but I dont have a problem with it. I would not consider it plush. It will take you though just about anything. It is a great log hopper. I mean with my skidplate I have nothing to worry about I climb really big stone walls and rock faces/ piles of boulders, I also hop logs over a foot or two in diameter.. If you go airborne in a jump it is heavy in the front and tends to nose dive a little, but what 4x4 doesn't. Again I was distracted. My overall rating of the ride. Firm, and adiquit. It is a pretty good ride for any terrain. think of it this way: European cars tend to have a "stiffer" suspention then asain or american cars. they are not uncomfortable or bumpy but they arent as plush as an american ride. Now how many people have no problems with comfort in the Porsche or BMW?

Old 02-22-2003, 10:34 AM
Trailblazer

thanks for the replies, I don't know what I was thinking with the engine braking question[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
I am on a limited budget, and I am looking everything within my price range, the "EBS" is a polaris issue, isn't it.
It would be fun to see Midnightxplorer sohw up on this thread with a new Wolverine.
Well, its back to the classified ads for me. I hope everyone has a good weekend.

Old 03-03-2003, 12:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

DUSTY TRAILS I just bought a 2000 wolverine on ebay but had to drive to california to pick it up to save shipping,Im not sure if id do that again.But im about 20 miles south of you in star valley next to payson.Ill let you try mine out if you want. Ive only ridden it a little but im comparing it to my 300 artic cat,what a difference.Thats why I bought it.They are both good for what they are built for.I got a six pt bull last sept.,archery, just above you on the rim.If you read this and want to meet in payson let me know.