Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine to buy or not????

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 09:45 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine to buy or not????

Okay, all jokes aside, i have a 97 400 xplorer and thinking about a yamaha Wolverine? is it a good bike any major problems?

the only thing i will miss is the true 4 wheel drive on the polaris. I run alot of mud and need something with reliability.

thanks

Old 02-17-2003, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

If you want to run a lot of deep heavy mud get something else. If you want a Wolv for some spirited trail riding it does great. There is just not enough motor or a low gear to lug big tires in thick mud. JMO The Wolv is reliable just not a mud machine.

Old 02-17-2003, 11:02 AM
Trailblazer

I got a 2003 Wolverine. It is an excellent machine. I've been threw alot of deep mud also & snow. It is very strong. Just don't put big tires on it. I would reccomend getting this machine. i have alot of fun on mine. Also if you think you are going to go in real deep thick mud, Just get a winch as I did.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. No problem then.

Derek

Old 02-17-2003, 09:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have a wolverine and have 25 inch itp tires on it, i have only gotten it stuck twice, i have went throught many nudholes that kodiaks could not get through, i would highly recommend this bike, its awesome
*luv the mud*

Old 02-17-2003, 09:51 PM
Trailblazer

I think the wolverine will be discontinued for the coming model year. But it used.

Old 02-17-2003, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer

bought my wife one an '02 a couple months ago for trail riding, couldn't be happier.

Old 02-18-2003, 08:54 AM
Trailblazer

the more i think about it the better its looking Im just getting of belts, chaines, and brake repair thanks...

steve

Old 02-19-2003, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

I love mine except for the fact it is underpowered.

Old 02-19-2003, 01:20 AM
Trailblazer

I love mine except for the fact it is underpowered.
is it the 350cc? Would a honda rancher be underpowered?
on a logging road is top speed or acceleration? or is it not able to climb a steep hill?
The turning radius is given by yamaha to be musch wider than a B,Bear or kodiak. Can you stay on twisty trails?
there are a couple used ones for sale in my state ranging from $5000-$3900. are there big changes in the past year models?

Old 02-19-2003, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider

Here is the deal on em: because it is dual sport the 1st gear especally is a bit high meaning that it lacks some grunt for example pulling a trailer or plowing. Running in most mud is fine but if it is that stuff that sucks your shoes off you will very regularly ride in, like all the time, then it is not optimum, that is with oversized tires. If it is only sometimes you ride in that mud, then it is fine. I do and I love doing so. Never had a real problem. It isn;t a majority GRUNT machine. The engine is based of the Yamaha Warrior, their 350 sport bike so the engine isn't a "work" engine. The gearing has changed from a 6 to a 5 speeed. it is also auto clutch and the carb was changed from a 36mm to a 34mm because of lack of airflow causing bad starts with some studdering. for this reason I say try and shy away from the 1996 models (the ones sold with the 36mm mikuni carbs instead of the 34mm mikuni carbs like the rest of the years.

Are they the same: yes pretty much they are the exact same quad. I hear there is some driveshaft difference if you want one of those 2x4/4x4 kits but other than that: same powerplant, same gearing, same plastic, same seat, same airbox, same carb (accept for 96and before if they made them before 96, they may have made them in 95 I dont remember) The color is the only thing that changed and now the 2003s don't have a front rack to "save weight" they say. I leave mine off accept in the winter to tye stuff down anyways.

They accelerate fine and top out around 58mph with stock tires and engine. with 25 inch tires you may loose a little acceleration, especally on stock rims, but you should top out around 65mph. I have stock tires and the engine mods below I think mine is peppy. Myt friend says just about as peppy as his warrior with a full yoshimira and a Wisco high comp. piston to gauge it. It isn't the fastest or quickest if thats what you want but it is one of the most versitile ATVs i've ever ridden, can keep up with basically anybody in any type of terrain and beat people in a lot of them.

as for the hill climb. it is an excelent hill climber in my opinion. no problems with loss of power there I climb in first or second depending on size, steepness and smootheness. All depends on personal preferance. in 1st you will not run out of power to spin the tires its if you go over or loose traction.

I know more I did a lot of research before buying mine new so if you have any other questions ask. There used to be a really good article on Wolverines in the ATV review section of this site (atvconnection) but for some reason it no longer is there under Yamaha ATVs. It really was the reason I got one. It was really well written and explained everything including the carb problem with the early ones

Hope i helped,

Quick Reply: Wolverine to buy or not????