Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Another busted 01 Raptor Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another busted 01 Raptor Tranny

Raptor8 were you getting worried every time he passed a tree??[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-17-2003, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

no it wasnt the trees, we were out at coyote butte in the burn area, but i did catch my breath when he went half way down a steep cinder hill, turned around, and went back up. I was REAL anxious to get my quad back then.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 02-17-2003, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

Damn Air, you sure we don't need some plutonium(?) in the tranny to hold it togther.

Old 02-17-2003, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

I think I'd like to go with the 03 gears and ship them to : Cryo Science for a treatment. It might be the strongest approach.

This seems so silly.......

Old 02-18-2003, 12:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: FISHER1648
I think I'd like to go with the 03 gears and ship them to : Cryo Science for a treatment. It might be the strongest approach. This seems so silly.......
02 up gears will fix the problem without the extra treatment. Sorry too hear of the bad fortune. Your back does'nt hurt from that bad tumble when she locked up, or does it? Someone will eventually be killed from a locked up 01 tranny IMO. Read my signature.

Old 02-18-2003, 11:13 AM
Trailblazer

I think my biggest problem has been the fact that I do all of these mods before anyone else does and I end up being the one who breaks them first.
I baught my Raptor in Sept. 2001 within a month I already had the motor apart and installed the JE High Comp. piston ,Web cam,and had all the motor work done.
When I did all this there was no such thing as a KIT you could just buy and install.
One of the final things I installed was a Hinson clutch basket with a Moose severe duty clutch kit.
Shortly after installing the clutch and clutch basket .(less then a month) The Cogs on second gear started to wear out and within a week the Piston let go.
So I decided to do the transmission when I did the rebuild because I would have to look for extra piston parts in the case anyway.
I took the head off and noticed a dime size hole in the top of the piston right where it was cut for the valve clearance other then that the piston was in great shape nice color no signs of bad jetting or anything.
The first thing I did was call JE because it was obviously a defect / flaw in the piston.
I sent the piston to JE and they said "we are sorry our first run of 11.5.1 pistons can't hold up to the compression" and sent me a replacement piston free of charge.
As for the transmission I had my friend order the parts from a list that POWROLL had made to update the 2001 to 2002 specs and he replaced the transmission gears for me. I know everyone thinks that my friend is most likely a backyard mechanic and it is his fault .
But this is not true my friend and I are good friends with people like Tom Carlson, Lauren Duncan, Mike Walsh and many other top engine and chassis builders.
I understand that knowing these people does not lend you thier knowledge. But they respect who he is because of his knowledge.
I hate trying to relate to people who I am and who I know ,But I just wanted everyone to know that I am not a backyard mechanic nor is my friend. With what I'm giong through about my Raptor may help someone make a informed decision ABOUT BUYING YAMAHA.

Old 02-18-2003, 11:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Which begs the question. Who are you?

RoostKIng...

Old 02-18-2003, 11:26 AM
Trailblazer

Who me ? I'm nobody who knows everybody LMAO
I never raced Nationals, ATV MX ,But would always go with my friends when they raced and just hang out and talk to people.
Alot of the racers and Engine builders would come to the races for either thier sponsored racers or to set up display booths and you could just talk to them and get to know them.
I'm not waving some flag here saying look at me I'm special. I just want people to know that I'm not joe schmoe when it comes to engines. and especially my #$%^%$ transmission problems!

Old 02-18-2003, 11:31 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Hey Chad, when the 02 upgrade was done, was the updated 02 reverse installed as well?

Old 02-18-2003, 11:56 AM
Trailblazer

No it wasn't he couldn't get the gear on the shaft ..even after heating up the gear and freezing the shaft. so we just left in the 2001.

Quick Reply: Another busted 01 Raptor Tranny