Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Shoulder Surgery

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 09:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shoulder Surgery

Guys/Gals
Its become apparent that im going to need some sort of surgery on my left shoulder( i dislocated it just riding this weekend) Have you/or know somebody that has had shoulder surgery to correct this? Any info is appreciated!

RoostKing...

Old 02-18-2003, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shoulder Surgery

Bummer, sorry to hear that man! I have had my right shoulder seperated badly, but I didn't opt to have surgery on it. The doctor told me that there would be a chance that the pins could be pulled out if I worked out or put too much force on it.....so now I live happily with a very large bone popping up on my shoulder! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2003, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider
Default Shoulder Surgery

Get a couple of opinions first....

I dislocated my right shoulder in a skiing accident about 5 years ago. I couldn't even lift it more than half way when I went to the doctor's office. Maybe mine wasn't as bad as yours but my doctor told me that exercise (physical therapy) was the key to getting it back into shape with full strength and mobility. I had to do a lot of exercises early on. The exercise that helped the most was holding an unopened beer and rotating your wrist until your thumb is pointing down towards the ground. Then, lift your arm straight out with your elbow locked. Hurts at first and you won't be able to lift your arm very high at first. Eventually though, you will be able to lift all the way above your head.

Good Luck,

Jon

Old 02-18-2003, 10:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Shoulder Surgery

i damage my should ski several years ago but didn't have the surgery, it did take a while to recover, the thing i foung that helped the most was very light weights, and a lot of reps, now it seems as good as ever. good luck

Old 02-18-2003, 10:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Shoulder Surgery

Thanks guys. My concern is that I have dislocated it 3 times in the last 6 months, with this lat time i was simply hitting some whoops and got jerked forward. Ive read that they recommend surgery after 4 times.

Im intruiged with trying to strengthen the shoulder area before looking into surgery. If you can remeber any of the other exercises you did, let me know!

Thanks guys!

RoostKing...

Old 02-18-2003, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider
Default Shoulder Surgery

Help is on the way![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2003, 11:38 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Shoulder Surgery

Roost- sorry to hear that. Remember you owe me a few pain killers so ask for the good stuff. Methadone, oxycotin are a few choices............LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Get a second opinion from a doctor. I would check and see if there is any physical therepy or exercises that you could do to strengthen your shoulder so that it does not happen again. I would put cutting on it as a last result.

Trending Topics

Old 02-18-2003, 11:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Shoulder Surgery

I had surgery on mr right sholder.. It was to the point that it would come out if I world rollover in my sleep.. More than once I woke up on my bars. It would come out and hit a nurve and I would pass out. My doctor told me that after pulling out so menny times the tindens and ligaments were like a old ruber band and needed to be cut and shortend.
At the time I had a HMO Kiser. I was in the hospital for 3 days. Do NOT got to Kiser.. It took some to recover. The best thing was to work out with rubber tubeing and work in a pool.
Now it is good as new other than a ugly scar." 34 stapels" Good luck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2003, 11:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Shoulder Surgery

Sorry to here about this[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] DAMN it hurts when it dislocates doesn't it?

If you have to get surgery done, make sure you go to a reputable SPORTS injury doctor. These guys work on athletes and seem to have WAY better results. GOOD LUCK!

Biggerisbetter.(your still an athlete right???[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img])LOL.

Old 02-18-2003, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default Shoulder Surgery

Messed up my shoulder playing softball. Throwing wet ***** in the rain is what snapped it. I tore some cartlidge and the Doc wanted to operate. I asked him about exercise and if it would heal. He said yes but it would take time. He also said I need to build the muscles in my shoulder up after the injury was healed. According to him the tore cartlidge would never heal correctly but with added muscle strength I could resume normal activities. I let it heal and have started working out again to strengthen the muscles more and have not had anymore problems.

My thoughts on these injuries as I am a victim of this,

As we get older we quit exercising but continue to try the stuff we did as youngsters. Well our body is getting weaker and the only cure is to exercise regularly. Surgey will fix it but without continious exercise afterwards it will tear/dislocate again; probally quicker.

I always seek natural healing and rehibilatation before I let the knife touch me. Now if my arm is sticking straight out my back then thats a different story.

Quick Reply: Shoulder Surgery