Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor died (updated: got motor taken apart)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor died

I believe my raptor blew the motor this last weekend. And im trying to decide what to do to it. Im thinking about the 690 kit from Curtis Sparks Racing. Its a 2001 Raptor. Should I update the tranny? I have the Alba Exhaust and a proflow kit wiht out the top on the box now. I had a 10.75 Wisco pisont in it. And she was beating lightly modified banshees (exhaust, k&n, cool head, boost bottle, decent paddles). I want her to eat some better banshees as well as being somewhat dependable still.

I dont know what went wrong with mine, im worried that the oil wasnt circulating. thats my only guess seeing as the oil resivore was over flowing and actually broke the seal on the dipstick and had oil running down the side of it. There had to be a lot of pressure to do that. I had just changed the oil, which i have done before. I made sure to bleed the top end so oil got into it. I had it idle a lot and kept checking to see if I over filled it or underfilled it. Now theres no compression when it turns over, and when trying to compression start it there is loud clanking sounds from the top end.

Its going into the shop early next week. Any ideas as to what happened? Or ideas as to what to do? If i bore it out to 102mm i want to go after everything. Cam, springs, porting, clutch, maybe tranny. And how usefull are aftermarket carbs?

Thanks,
Bret

Old 02-18-2003, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor died

Holy Crap chief...what were you doing? You might as well update the trans while you have the motor out and apart. I'm surprised to hear what happened...If you had lost oil pressure chances are you would have wasted the tranny or bottom end(complete lock up)and not the top-end...possible loss of t-chain? Whatever the problem make sure you do the tranny with 02 parts...I want to know what happened and why...let me know

BRAAAAP

Old 02-18-2003, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor died

Yeah, im confused also. I will be taking it to the shop saturday probably, and i will update to see what my dumbass did to it. Where's the best place to order the updated tranny?

Old 02-18-2003, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor died

Hey I just read a post about early production J&E pistons which failed at eyebrow...its a post from today raptorchad or something...Alba yamaha had all the parts in stock when I did my conversion.

BRAAAP

Old 02-18-2003, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor died

Im pretty sure my piston was a Wisco. But what scares me is I got it on ebay. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2003, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor died

hmm....just makes ya wonder eh? That really sucks, hope you get everything working again soon.

Old 02-18-2003, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor died

i'm scared for anyone buying motor parts on ebay.

Old 02-18-2003, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor died

ya, remind me never to do that EVER. Id much rather go spend the extra cash and buy parts from the dealer or mechanic.

Old 03-03-2003, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor died

Well i got the motor out and torn apart by my mechanic. Apperently one of my valves broke apart. This is probably due to me not re adjusting the valves after the piston was broken in maybe?? I dunno. But the piston is fine. I am updating the clutch, Hot Cam stage 1, valve springs, and a 02-03 tranny upgrade. Only 60$ of damage to the upper end and that was it. Im almost dissapointed. I was looking forward to a 686. Oh well, im sure i will manage to blow this one up in no time.

Old 03-03-2003, 08:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Raptor died (updated: got motor taken apart)

Sounds like you blew a head gasket.Might not be that bad.

Quick Reply: Raptor died (updated: got motor taken apart)