Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Vs. Predator(I know this is getting old)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Vs. Predator(I know this is getting old)

Raced vilnrk and his predator yesterday, and let me tell you guys and gals it was some RACING!
I have put the raptor back on gas, since I recently got it back from getting the new tranny and valves put in(thank goodness for that extended warranty).

Anyway, right out of the truck we were pretty even, was coming down to which one got the start nailed better. Even then we were neck and neck all the way out(almost 200yards), at this point the predator was wound out in 5th, while the raptor was still in 3rd(15 tooth front), predator(?you'll have to ask).

We both did a little carb tweaking(?) and even a sprocket change on the predator(?). Still the raptor could win, not by a whole lot, but it could win.

Now this isn't to brag, because the raptor does have a cc advantage over the predator, and vilnrk exhaust is still basically stock, while the raptor has the full yosh pipe(again, gas not alcohol now).

After having rode the predator myself too, I have come to the conclusion that it revs faster than the raptor, and lacks the low end grunt of the raptor(by far), but I do believe that stock vs. stock, or compared on an equally modified level, the predator would probably have the edge. This edge may not be huge, but it doesn't have to be.

So, to all of you out there, just because you have a raptor, you might watch your talk, because soon the mods will be finding their ways on to the predator, and then you all may be eating sand much more than you like.

Conclusion: Predator Vs. Raptor.........

If you want low end pull the devil out of hell torque, and reverse, go get the raptor without even looking at the predator.

If you want faster revs(but not a two stroke) and less bumpsteer, race to your local Polaris dealer..."One predator please."

Old 02-19-2003, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

Kudos to Vilnrk........That was some hella good racing...........see you at Atoka...............

Old 02-19-2003, 09:06 PM
Range Rover

Yeah Predator vs. Raptor that is my problem still don't know what one I want. I know the raptor has proven dependability but the predator is built with better suspension is a good width has stainless steel brake lines and isn't as tippy but also doesn't wheely like the raptor and the predator lacks reverse all I know is I really want a great quad that will be good and reliable. Thanks, Seth

Old 02-19-2003, 09:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes, the Predators out of the box are a good machine. At least even with the Raptor out of the box. Hopfuly it holds together well. I have raced a few, never lost or they weren't even real close but, they shouldn't be with my mods. But then again, the Prerdator comes with a 10:5:1 piston and a performance cam so our mods were pretty close accross the board.

The Predators come with a lot more than the Raptor for less money. Its a great deal if you ask me. If i could I would get one.

Old 02-19-2003, 09:23 PM
Range Rover

I have been told that I am quite hard on equipment and if there is a weak component I will bend it or break it so I would really like to get some input on which quad will take the beating better.

Old 02-19-2003, 09:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You'll have to ask the Predator guys how their quads are holding up. They are a first year model so only time will tell. As for the raptors the 02 and later models seem to be holding up fine. The Predators are already modded as afar as cams/pistons, suspension etc that most do to the raptor so you might save some money there by going with the Predator. Also your size might determine which quad to go for, smaller guy=Predator larger guy=Raptor. racing=Predator trails= either one Dunes= Raptor has the edge just because of power potential. Good luck.

Old 02-19-2003, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

I seen alot of predators this weekend at glamis and to tell you the truth I was not impressed, I raced a few just to see if it was just me seeing things, yeah they were ahead in the woops but as soon as we cleared them I was ahead all the way, so dont get all hyped up just because a magazine had them rated as #1 for awhile and them 2 mos later they changed their mind, of course this is just my point of view....

Old 02-19-2003, 10:56 PM
Range Rover

Well I am not worried that much about speed as I won't be doing much drag racing I just want a quad that won't bend, break and will run strong and overall be dependable.

Old 02-19-2003, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

ryenol i had a blast! you can bet that i will be looking at some little things to squeeze out a couple more ounces of power! they are very close like you said. riding on then hopping on the other and riding the other....gosh its such a night and day difference. raptor pulls your arms from the sockets whereas the predator revs fast. torque(raptor) VS hp(predator) the predator has no torque compared to the raptor.
lets do it again soon!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

turbo bobby

Old 05-20-2003, 03:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious about the cost of replacing parts for the Preditor. What are you're experiences with Yamaha vs. Polaris as far as maintenence costs are concerned? How about warantee and service?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Raptor Vs. Predator(I know this is getting old)