Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Modifications Help Requested

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 03:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifications Help Requested

As a Polaris Magnum rider, I yearned for more speed as everyone else flew past me. I found what I thought was a great deal on a Raptor 660R, and bought it for $3500. As a big man, I would like to modify it to better fit my frame: 6'4" 290. Is there anything available which gives this beast a bigger footprint?

What do I need to do about shocks? Are there oversized tires or other mods which would make it sit higher? What other mods would you suggest?

This is the fastest thing I've ever been on. I cannot ever imagine needing 4th or 5th gear, but might like to increase torque on the low end at the sacrafice of the top end. Any suggestions?

Finally, the shifter on this speed demon is quite awkward for my size 14 dogs. Does anyone have any suggestions about a mod here short of cutting off part of my foot[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] which would make it easier to shift gears?

Thank you for your input and help. You'll notice that this is my first post at this forum. I am very impressed & grateful for ATV Connections. Of all of the ATV information exchange I've found on the net, this seems to be the highest quality content I've seen. Thanks ATV Connections!

Old 02-22-2003, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

well if you want to make a bigger foot print get some like mudshark tires... if you get bigger shox to make it sit higher it will be more tippy... as the for shifter i would make your own or loosen the bolt on the one and bend the stock shifter up...

Old 02-22-2003, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

I took an xr650l steel shifter and had a buddy lengthen it about 1 1/2 inch now it works perfect, and doesn't have the slop assosciated with the stock linkage style shifter. Buying some pro style nerf bars like CT's or White Bro's will help keep those canoes on the pegs. As for the suspension some better shocks would surely cure any problems you are having(your just to damn big).

BRAAAAP

Old 02-22-2003, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

Definetly get some new shocks, and as far as torque go down to 12 tooth countershaft that should help out [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-22-2003, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

I think this is the first time anyone has ever asked about RAISING the Raptor. Welcome aboard and let us know how your mods turn out.

Old 02-22-2003, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

To make it more stable, go with +2 A-arms up front and wider axle out back. Many shock makers will build shocks to acommodate your weight and riding style. My Rappy is close to 49" wide with the mentioned mods and offset wheels.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-23-2003, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

I have a buddy that makes a one piece shifter for the Raptor for 35.00. It gets rid of the linkage set up.
PM me and I'll send you one.

Old 02-24-2003, 04:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

So far, I have opted for wheel spacers from null. Since I have a Honda 300 & a Warrior in my stable as well, I bought 2 sets. I thought the spacers would be an excellent addition to the Honda, which feels like a mini-bike on steroids & is far too proned to shenanigans. Since I've not been too crazy about the small footprint of the Warrior and the way it handles a big man, I knew that I couldn't lose by getting the wheel spacers for the rappy. If I don't like them on the rappy, they'll be just fine on the warrior.

Will report on the modifications as they come. Feel free to suggest more mods, because I don't think I'm anywhere near done anytime soon. May still get the A arms with the 2" extension, but will wait to see if the spacers do the trick.