Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Anyone sink their truck in the dunes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 01:18 PM
Default Anyone sink their truck in the dunes?

Has anyone here WITH 4wd got stuck in, on, or around some dunes like glamis? How about mud?
are there any hard core off-roaders in here? I have a 4wd 5spd tacoma and it of-roads anything and everything//
Is it true that those really heavy trucks like f150-350s get stuck easier than the smaller trucks?

liquidsand

Old 02-26-2003, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My F-350 powerstroke gets stuck on wet grass. That engine is just way too heavy for off roading.

Old 02-26-2003, 03:44 PM
Pro Rider

my 1500 gets through about anything i've put it through

Old 02-26-2003, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

I think the 4x4 tacoma is one of the best sand runners(in stock form). They not nonly avoid getting stuck more often but they handle well helping to avoid problems.

Old 02-26-2003, 04:09 PM

Yeah, they off-road like a feind...yesterday I put my tacoma through extremely deep mud with my banshee in the back in high 4 wheel drive..almost put it over the cliff and sideways a few times but it all ways seems to correct and re-gain traction even when your up to the fenders in mud!....cant wait to hit some dunes with it...

liquidsand

Old 02-26-2003, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

I have never been stuck, but that is because I try to avoid anything that could get me stuck. I take my truck offroad, but not deep off road. I have an F350 diesel, and I bought it to tow my 10,000 pound trailer, if I was serious into 4x4 ing, I would have kept my jeep.

The lighter, shorter, and more narrow rigs will always be better off road, but I would not want to try and tow my trailer with a toyota.

Bat

Old 02-26-2003, 07:49 PM

True..But the most I ever have to tow with my truck is my banshee and the occasional stuck truck out of the mud..

liquidsand

Old 02-26-2003, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

Should a bought a Chevy he he he[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-26-2003, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

We launched a stock toyota 40ft in the dunes. We have photos for proof. 5ft of daylight below the tires. Truck didnt last much longer. We have put a jacked up Z71 down a 400ft hill that goes straight into water. Took 6 built jeeps wiht paddles and big wenches to pull it back up. We have buried trucks and they have stayed the night out in the dunes very often. We only go out at night, and if we arent digging a truck out of the sand at 4 in the morning, something is wrong. If the keg(s) still have beer in them, we would be ashamed. (dont try this at home by the way) Drinking on the dunes is a very bad thing with people around. Dont have to worry to much at 3 in the morning in a secluded part of dunes away from any camping areas.

Old 02-26-2003, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

I buried my Excursion to the frame in the sand at Pismo, towing a 29' toy hauler. The stock Firestone Steeltex tires suck in the sand under an 8000lbs truck. Fortunatly, I dropped the preasure to about 8 P.S.I. and drove right out.

The Excusion simply doesn't do well off road, but my Ram has gone some places that no one would have ever thought a stock, extra-cab, long bed, pick-up would be able to go.

I used to take my lifted and locked Ranger out with the Jeep club. Although I couldn't go every were the serious Jeeps could go, there was more than one position that my Ranger could climb over [or though] that gave the shorter wheelbase Jeeps a hell of a time.

Quick Reply: Anyone sink their truck in the dunes?