Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

96 Yamaha Warrior.... Overheating!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 10:17 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Yamaha Warrior.... Overheating!

The link above is the only pics I have. I don't know how to explain it any better than I have. The fittings go into the oil galley and the oil gets routed to the cooler. There is nothing hooked up internally, just the fittings tapping in. Four Stroke Tech uses the same type of set-up on their 400cc+ machines so you know it works...otherwise they would't use it.

Old 03-02-2003, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

Alright... It has been about 2 years since i dug into my warrior side case. I am tyring to remeber the oil pump. How can you redirect the oil path with out going inside the case cover and putting something to obstruct the oil flow straight up to the head? lets say the pump is like a simple water pump. You have a line in and a line out. Since you want to cool the water before it reaches the high temperature point, AFTER the line out wouldn't you simply cut the line, force the freshly presurized water to the radiator then BACK to the same location on the line out to continue the Flow.

The stock warrior does not have a place to shoot oil out to a cooler from the stock pump. Isn't the pump out line going UP to the head and not to the side?

Next time you are out riding, could you please take a thermometer with you? Please take the warrior's head temperature after a good long ride and then take the temerature of you oil cooler. IF your theory is right they should be about the same, correct?

Also about the wolverine filter cooler idea. One the oil goes through the filter on any machine doesn't ti go straight to the pump? Sure it may cross the crank path but it still is not nearly as hot as the head. Then the pump would push that cooled oil up to the head. it would heat up, come back down to the filter and be cooled once agian and the prosses is complete. that is a very simple way to explain it, but i can find reasoning in how the oil is cooled this way.

I am now goin to check out four stroke tech's theory in their oil cooling and see how it compairs and it set up. I still do not understand how the oil is being cooled with out being reidrect to the cooler it self. PLEASE shed some light on this topic.

Old 03-02-2003, 07:35 PM
Trailblazer

Didn't mean to offend you with the "iffy" statement. Are you the one selling the Hayden oil cooler kit? The only thing that i have a question is that i don' t see how you would get any pressure or flow on the side of the clutch cover. Also, what kind of hose did you use? By the way the Warrior pics loook great.

Old 03-02-2003, 07:43 PM
Trailblazer

What would you reccomend for jetting. After i rebuilt it i noticed that it was sluggish at low end and great on the top end. I got a FMF pipe, white brothers performance cam with the stiffer valve springs, a Wiesco (SP?) piston oversized .008", and a K&N Filter running with a mostly open airbox. I want to say that it is running rich but i will have to check the sparker to know. On my back rack have a lot of black soot built up. Is this a sign of richness? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-02-2003, 08:41 PM
Range Rover

OK...let's try this again. There IS an oil galley going up the inside of the clutch cover. It is not just filled with oil. You are redirecting the oil out to the cooler and blocking the original path. The oil goes into the cooler and back into the galley and continues on it's merry way. I don't know what else to say. Does anyone else understand the theory or am I being confusing?

The Wolverine and the Warrior use the same oil pump...the Wolverine has a stock oil cooler and the Warrior does not, so adding one to the Warrior is no big deal. You have to add extra oil since you will have a cooler and lines. I use tranny cooler hose.

As for the jetting issue, the soot would suggest you are running rich. What is your jetting right now?
Oh and the term "iffy" didn't offend me...I was just trying to shed some light on the subject and let you know that it does work.

Old 03-03-2003, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

alright, i have a picture in what i think you are trying to say. NOw i have to try and attach it, any help?

Old 03-03-2003, 04:07 PM
Trailblazer

I got it now! I thought that the clutch cover was just that, a cover w no oil directing. Just something to cover the clutch. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-22-2003, 07:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

i was wondering if this oil cooler is still available? if so where can i get it
thanks
ryanscott8

Old 07-22-2003, 08:05 PM
Range Rover

Oil cooler auction

Or you can Email or PM me.

Old 03-25-2004, 02:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Old thread...but just in case someone reads this, I am looking to increase cooling capicity on my 03 wolvie. any input is great ...

Thanks,
Danny

Quick Reply: 96 Yamaha Warrior.... Overheating!