Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

First mod on stock Raptor-need ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First mod on stock Raptor-need ideas.

First off, I love this machine. Big improvement over modded Scrambler. But I can't keep things stock for too long!

Thinking of one of three things. First, wheels and tires. I have been hearing good things about the Kenda Klaws. They have done very well in every magazine shootout, even up against Holeshots and Razrs. Has anyone bolted a set up yet? I don't like the slidding action of the stock rubber. Good in straight lines, not in the coners.

Second, upgrading the intake and exhaust. Is the Pro-Flow with K&N filter and Outterwear the way to go? I plan on keeping the stock airbox for water/dirt protection. Will I need to re-jet with the ProFlow if I keep stock exhaust?

Last, exhaust. I live in town and sometimes ride in it and on the frozen river, can't be too loud. Thinking of just adding a slip-on for a few extra ponies. What are your guys feelings on this idea and any suggestions are great. I realise that the Pro-Flow with jet kit is needed to get full potential out of a aftermarket exhaust. I know that adding a slip-on without re-jetting is not the way to go.

Thanks, Adam

03 black and red Raptor.

Old 03-01-2003, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

I still have the stock tires on my Raptor but 90% of my riding is in the dunes.
My problem with the stock tires is they seem to cut easily because of the large spaces between the *****.
I'm looking hard at the Holeshot XCR's when I replace mine.

I have the Pro Design adaptor K&N & Outerwears & would highly recomend it.

I also recomend the Dynojet kit, some don't like it but I've had good luck with mine.
If you get a Dynojet kit or just use stock jets trim the restrictors out of the snorkle, this frees up the intake a bunch!!

The head pipes won't effect sound as much as the muffler will.
Get the Sparks X6 with spark arrestor (I have the full X6 with stainless head pipes & spark arrestor), it's a Supertrapp design & you can put in fewer discs to run it quiet & add discs when your in an area where you don't need to worry about the sound & you can get the full power out of it.
That way you get the best of both worlds.

After that has been done work on the suspension, shocks (I have Elkas) , A Arms (I got Swytaks), & wider rear axle (I used wheel spacers).
The only thing left after that is to go in to the engine (I haven't done that yet)!!

Old 03-01-2003, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

i agree with moose....you get major gains by cutting the restricters out, jetting and pipe...after market filters only make it better. thats cheap easy gains. now the other area i would concentrate is handling...widen it up a bit and you'll be able to really appreciate the 660ccs. i think the raptor is perfect with +2 a-arms and axle...if you don't want to fork offer the cake for that i would seriously consider wheel spacers in the back and flipping the front rims...flush mount valve stems will allow you to do that.

my quad is tricked out w/ +3 LSR a-arms and +2 axle, and Elka shocks. it cost almost as much as the quad itself. (this is ridden on track) but ive rode raptors with spacers and flipped rims and i thought it was cheap way to get great handling. infact thats precisely what i did for my warrior. (i ride it through rocky trail and even jump alittle and have had no-probs for over 3 years).

i also reccomend getting rid of the stock clutch perch and all the crap that goes with it including the parking break. i flipped my quad in a sand pit and snapped one of the harnesses right at the perch. that one thing left me stranded in a sand pit i shouldve been in. Whoops!..anyways order a gyt-r yz400 clutch perch(there cheap and real sweet ...even have a quick adjust...and looks stock) and any rear brake block off plate and get rid of all that crap...you don't need it. just unplug the two harnesses behind the radiator (on has two ends...fill with di-grease and plug them into one another) and throw all that crap out.

those Klaws look sweet...those will probably be my next purchase for the warrior. enjoy.

Old 03-02-2003, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

THEMOOSE and Raptor660RNH,

Great ideas guys, kinda what I was thinking too. How much does one gain when flipping the front wheels? Also, what sizes do rear alxe spacers come in? Is 2 inches a good size to go with?

Anyway, kinda like the width of the Predator but might be alittle wide in tight trails? We will see as my riding buddy has one. Thanks guys.

Adam

03 black and red Raptor.

Old 03-02-2003, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

1. Pro-Flow set up/Dyno-Jet kit
2. Axle
3.Exhaust

Old 03-03-2003, 01:43 AM
Trailblazer

Get new skids first. Engine and swing arm.

Old 03-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

I have 2.5 inch wheel spacers on the rear. You have to remember that the Rappy's axle is weak to begin with though. The spacers increase the chance that you will need a new axle sooner than later. Flipping the front tires is good, but it leaves your brakes exposed. If you ride in rocks, this could be a problem. Befor I replaced my A-arms I had 2 inch spacers (look like big bolts) on the front. They worked great. You can find them on e-bay.

But for your first mod, I'de go with the slip on exhaust and a new filter, either K&N or foam. I wouldn't worry about the tires yet. Being a little loose isn't a bad thing while you're going through the Raptor's learning curve.

Old 03-03-2003, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider

the 01's had the weaker axle, it's been toughened up since.
I went with 3" spacers (1 1/2" a side) but most of my riding is in the dunes not tight woods trails.
If you ride trails skid plates would be a good idea, the stock swingarm skid is an especially weak point.

Old 03-03-2003, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

My order of preference on mods:

Grease - yep, GREASE. Fix the stuff the factory forgets to do (hey if you worked in a factory would you want to pack bearings with grease before installing them?) Start with the rear axle, the swingarm, and the upper steering stem bushing. Use a synthetic grease. Buy a set of 50mm axle nut wrenches from Motion Pro. It is well worth the investment as you will need them every time you do this project.

Then protection,

Nerf bars
Swingarm skid
a-arm skids
fullbody skid

Then reliability and cost savings,

new front tires if you ride near a single rock
get rid of the emergency brake setup
Scotts Oil filter

Then performance,

exhaust, open the air box, rejet. and so on and so on...

/NotuRaptor

Old 03-03-2003, 02:28 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

notu,,,that was a good post

Quick Reply: First mod on stock Raptor-need ideas.