Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor - gear on back of clutch housing????

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003 | 02:01 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Raptor - gear on back of clutch housing????

There is a small diameter, fairly heavy duty looking, gear on the back of the clutch housing. This gear does not contact any other gears. All of the other gears seem to mesh with one another properly but this one doesnt even come close to another.

WTF - why is it there ?

Old 03-13-2003 | 10:14 AM
|
Pro Rider

That makes sense ! As long as I didnt forget something ?? I hate second guessing this kinda stuff.....

Old 03-13-2003 | 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

I doubt there would be a speedo cable on the inside of the clutch mechanism. I know what gear you are talking about. Its for the kick starter on the banshee. It can be popped off using a flat head srew driver and a rubber hammer. Someone may have replaced the whole clutch from a Rap clutch to a shee clutch. As far as I know, they are the same. I bought a shee clutch basket, and thought it was from a rap b/c it had no small gear on the back. But I found out that it was removeable from my old clutch. That is odd that it has that gear. Unless some dip-sh*t mechanic put it there if u took it to a shop, there is absolutely no reason for it to be there at all. Dont think it would hurt anything, but I guess it would just be better off if you took it off. You need to take the whole clutch off, then find where the gear mates with the larger gear in front of it, it only mates in 2 spots. In those two spots. Tap the end of a flat head screw driver easily into both spots one at a time. The gear will start to move off the shaft until you have enough space in bewteen the small and large gear to pry it off using two small crow bars. Once its off, job done..

-nick

Old 03-13-2003 | 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

No, leave the gear alone. Its put there by the factory, and not some mechanic. Its just there.

Let it be.

Old 03-13-2003 | 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

Whoa, sorry about the bum suggestions then. Thats cheap.... they must use the exact same clutch as the shee then... Hmm. Sorry Fisher!!!

-nick

Old 03-14-2003 | 02:37 AM
|
Pro Rider

No sweat - it's definately factory because my clutch has never been apart before. Seems strange but true to have an extra, unused gear. At this point, nothing weird on the Raptor surprises me. I think Yamaha gave bonus checks to the engineers based on complexity and parts count - ridiculously complicated and maximum number of parts gets a free trip to Hawaii....

Old 03-14-2003 | 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

Whoa airrap, I told him I was sorrry, and I sincerely doubt he would have taken the opinion of one 16 year old kid to heart and taken that apart. And your right, I have not taken apart a rap motor. I never said I did or imply in any way that I have. Its not like Fisher was mad, so why are you? No harm, No foul..

These boards are not meant for flames or cut downs, save that for somewhere else please.

So calm down, you apparently knew more than I did, and I am glad fisher got the right answer and didnt "destroy" his engine..

-nick

Old 03-14-2003 | 07:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Very, very well said and thought out reply banshee250.

For a 16 year old to hold it together and not flame or cut down back is very impressive. I read this, this morning before I went to work and couldn't believe what I read from AirRaptor. Pretty un nessessary coments if you ask me. You had already apologised for the misinformation and Fischer accepted, no harm no foul.

Maybe 14mins is getting to Airraptor more than he realizes. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-14-2003 | 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

Well.. I typically tend to be calm and dont take things to heart that people say that have never met or dont know me all together. I wasnt mad with him, more discusted..

No hard feelings?

-nick

Old 03-14-2003 | 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Wash. You did good banshee. Yes the info was wrong, but heck I've seen air wrong on stuff before. Who hasn't been wrong before. Thats what makes these forums great. Somebody knows whats right and you will find it.

Quick Reply: Raptor - gear on back of clutch housing????