Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Is the Raptor faster than the DS650 in a drag?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Raptor faster than the DS650 in a drag?

You can go to Vilnrk's gallery, he has picture's of all his mods. But to the best of my knowledge he gutted the stock muffler, put a clamp on K&N filter, and put a alcohol carb on it. Put some lower gears for the sand and that is all. He does seem to run really strong from what I hear. And as far as some Raptor's being faster, I don't disagree, I think they are so close that your going to see race's go both ways. some Predator's will out run other Predator's. no two bikes are the same. just the luck of the draw, and how you break it in. Look foward to getting out and doing some racing.

Old 03-26-2003, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

I will say this, Vilnrk's bike runs hella good. If that's all that he's done, then he definitely got a Saturday quad. Like I said, I like the Pred a lot. I went down to the Polaris dealership that my buddy owns and rode the heck out of a Predator that he had set up for X country. He raced it recently and came in third (Very impressive considering that it was stock except for the WB pipe, K&N and jetting.) They run & handle great and to be honest I may purchase one yet. But it will not be to make a drag quad out of. I can tell you that the piped and jetted Predator will not run with my piped and jetted DS and I wouldn't expect it to. The DS is 150cc larger and has more torque. The Predator already comes with a higher compression piston than the DS so which would benefit most from an aftermarket high compression piston? Both the DS and Rappy come out of the crate smothered, cammed down and undergeared. That's why they respond so well to mods. The rev limiter on the DS is way too low as opposed to the Predator. All I'm saying is that if I buy a Predator, it won't be in hopes of building it up to outrun the DS. It will be for a helluva quick quad to go out and rip it up and play on while I'm building the DS up to be a drag monster. Some kits may come out for the Predator that prove me wrong, and if so, great. It's not the first time that I've been wrong. It'll be like the second, but that's neither here nor there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img].

Old 03-26-2003, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

I can not guarentee that's all he has done, but that's what he said he had done. Never know for sure. I read a post that 14MINS said something about a big race coming up this summer. I am going to try my best to make this race. I know DSMIKE, 14MINS, and some of the fastest quads will be there. We will have an idea of where we are at after this race. Should be fun win or lose. I just enjoy racing.

Old 03-26-2003, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

10/4. Have fun with it man. You've got yourself a great quad.

Old 03-30-2003, 06:01 PM
Trailblazer

The ds has a wieght issue but the new 2003 or 2004 has 30 lbs off of the ds. And the raptor isnt so tippy i ridden them before.But i think the ds would win,actually my quadzilla would smoke all yours.quadzilla

Old 03-30-2003, 06:05 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: 401
no rappy or ds is going to outrun my polaris 400
yeah right.A polaris sport 400 is going to beat a raptor,or ds.i dont think so.You think your quad is bad take a look at my quadzilla. quadzilla[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-30-2003, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

Without the technology or money the raptor is flat out faster. YOu can't consider the raptor wheeling up in a discussion on speed, give them a running start then what? RAPTOR. The predator is a gorgeous bike and is plenty fast but most of the publications that match the two pick the predator all around, but I have yet to see one pick it for blowing the raptor away. All things equal the horses almost always win!