Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Silver Lake Dunes - April 12th.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silver Lake Dunes - April 12th.

If you like sand riding and have never done it before, it would probably be worth your trip. But, if you wait until around June, July, there is a ton of stuff to do there other than sand riding. They also have a drag race strip just down the road. If you have a family, they have camp grounds and other stuff there that the kids would enjoy as well. We drive about 5 hours to get there and I love it. I would drive 12 hours about once a year if it was the closest place I could ride in the sand. But, if you come in April, you will pretty much have the dunes to yourself. No one comes until the end of May. They are not too strict in April either so you might get away with a few technical things. I think if you go to www.silverlake.com you can pull up some info. There is a Best Western Hotel on the lake that is very nice and a Comfort Inn about 3 miles away from the dunes too. Hope this helps. Rhonda

Old 03-20-2003, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info, We would love to ride some of the sand, Is there any big dunes there or mostly just small ones. Are You guys just going to be there on Saturday? How soft is the sand, Are paddles a necessity? Some of would have some may not!!

Old 03-20-2003, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

The first dune you go up when you enter the park is I think the biggest. What it is, is a series of about 9 dunes in a row. But, there are other areas in the park to ride as well. The drag racing takes place by the lake. If you have never been sand riding, this is a good place to start. I have done it two years in a row with no paddles and this year I have paddles. I have never had a problem getting up the big ones. The sand right now is going to be little hard so the landings will not be as forgiving. We are leaving Friday so we can get there to right some at night, then Saturday we are going all day and will probably leave by 4 p.m. I do almost everything the guys do so don't think these dunes are for wimps just because I am telling you about them. You really will like it.

Old 03-21-2003, 03:13 AM
Pro Rider

I will try to describe the layout of the Silver Lake dunes. It is like a big square, with the parking lot on the left of the square and the lake on the right. The left 1/3 is all One Way only. Basically, you can go straight or left and right, but not back over a crest you have passed. This area consists of 5-6 very high, steep ridges that are maybe 300-400 yards long (wide) each. You can go up the hills, or out to the side to get to the flatter land. These big hills are where people get ALOT of air, if that is your style. It seems to be really popular for quads and trucks to stop right on top of the ridges without going over. People also do alot of roosts. They go up the hill and then turn back down when they are almost at the top, spraying lots of sand. The first and last ridges are the best for getting big air.

The rest of it is a mix of smaller hills and dips. Some it is lower lying wet sand with some really big puddles/ponds. There are some small patches of trees/scrub brush, with paths weaving in and out of them. You can't ride directly on the beach. They have a line you aren't supposed to cross with a motorized vehicle. Here by the beach, on the flats, is where the drag racing takes place. A few times the DNR officers drove by and broke it up.

Overall it is a really fun place to ride. The official sound restrictions are 94 dB, but this early in the year they probably won't inforce it. They do, however, always check for spark arrestors. Also you have to have a whip that is at least 10 ft high, I think, and it must have a square orange flag. They turned me away my first time because I had a triangle flag and it was too short.

I look forward to seeing you all there!!

RR1

Old 03-21-2003, 08:30 AM
Pro Rider

Excellent description!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-30-2003, 04:02 AM
Pro Rider

I just wanted to bring this back to peoples minds. I will be there. I have a blue Dodge Ram and will be hauling a black trailer. I have a black raptor with red graphics and lots of stickers. Hope to see everyone there!

RR1

Jarrod

Old 03-30-2003, 08:03 AM
Pro Rider

I hope it is nice weather by then. What is the temp running at around that area?

Old 03-30-2003, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

hopefully we will all be able to go. nick might of broke his leg, and i might not have the yz fxed in time. i should though. and if nick broke his leg, well....he carn ride still. lol

Old 03-30-2003, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

Now that is a dedicated rider to go with a broken leg.

Old 03-30-2003, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

Well.. I can sorta walk alright today. I cracked the fibula in a stupid pavement wheelie accident. I shouldnt have been riding around my neibhorhood anyways. I will go no matter what. I dont wanna let my friends down and wouldnt miss a chance at meeting some forum folks.

-nick

Quick Reply: Silver Lake Dunes - April 12th.