Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

this is a dumb question but?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 10:56 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this is a dumb question but?????

if there were 2 of the same banshees that where drag racing..lets say 2 1998 banshees with lrd pipes,the same jetting ,same tires,same exact rider,but one had +2 a-arms and +2 axle..and the other had stock a-arms and axle..would the wider one be slower because of the a-arms and axle.i dont think so but my buddy sayes if i get that stuff he would be faster in a drag race..thanks for you help..

Old 03-25-2003, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

Well, you would have a little more weight, unless you bought lighter stuff, like aluminum or something, but not enough to slow you down. But with a wider axle, the more weight distribution might make you spin more on take off, (kinda like a car will spin wider tires easier than narrow ones) I bet. Well, there's a dumb answer to your dumb question, I guess.

Old 03-25-2003, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

no a car with narrow tires will spin more than a car with wider tires buddy

Old 03-25-2003, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

um .....

no [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] wider is not slower and you will have better handling and stability

Old 03-26-2003, 07:36 AM
Pro Rider

wider tires=more surface area = less skidding or burning

Old 03-26-2003, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

By widing the quad you move the wheels out from underneath the weight of the quad, So in a computer world you might see a difference, but not in ours...your buddy doesn't want to get smoked in the corners...I say let him have his beliefs and let him eat dust too.

Old 03-26-2003, 11:39 PM
Range Rover

That is true to a point. At a certain width(many factors to it) your tires will break loose much easier, due to less weight per square inch of surface area.

Old 03-26-2003, 11:45 PM
Trailblazer

i know a kid that wants to trade me a 98 banshee ..with +2 a-arms and+2 axle..lrd crome pipes..cooled head..fresh motor..3 sets of rims and tires ..and 1500 for my z400 ..what do you think....

Old 03-27-2003, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

Would you like an orange or an apple?

If it were just money wise then i think the Z400 is worth more. But the funner quad in my opinon is the banshee.

Old 03-27-2003, 10:26 AM
Trailblazer

RaptorForever hit it right on the head. I will try to explain this. In a truck on pavement, a real narrow tire can be spun easily because of the amount of rubber touching the road. As the tire gets wider, traction increases due to the amount of surface area of grip touching the groung. But as the tire gets even wider, there is less weight of the truck per square inch in the contact patch on the tire and traction will begin to fall off again. Everyone has seen pics of people walking in snow with snow shoes on, right. Those things that look like tennis rackets on thier feet. These act like wide tires, they spread the weight out. But, traction on dirt is different than on pavement. The motor in the truck turns the tire so that the force is pushing backwards, and according to physics "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". So, that means as the truck pushs backwards the pavement pushes in the opposit direction which would be forwards. The end result would be the truck moving forward. If you spin your tires all the way down the road it wouldn't be as fast as if you made good traction the whole way. Now when we put this on dirt it changes a little bit. If you've noticed Banshees spin all the time and still manage to kill all opposition. This is because of physics again. When the tire is spinning it is creating a roost. For every grain of dirt that tire throws backwards it moves the Banshee forward a little bit. I you throw a few million grains of dirt backwards a second then you're gonna rip. Pheeewww. That was a lot of typing. If anyone wants to dispute this claim then drop me a line and I'll take you to school. Later

Quick Reply: this is a dumb question but?????