Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Do's and Dont's????

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do's and Dont's????

im pickin up my raptor in 3 days and i was wondering what the do's and donts are of it. Is there anything i should pay special attention to or take extra care of. Is there anything that it is quirky about or special ways of doing things? Any tips pertaining to raptors at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! warrior86

For example...someone told me never to start it in gear with the clutch, always neutral. These is the type of inside info id like to know.

Old 03-25-2003, 01:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

learn how to change the oil, I know it sounds simplistic but I have screwed mine up before.

make sure the upper a-arms have grease in them, mine didn't from the factory

the stock bars suck, be prepared for new ones if you roll it

check your idle speed, that is one of the problems with the carbs popping off (do they still do that?)

Old 03-25-2003, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

ok, so the oil. Is it particularly hard on the raptor. Im coming from a warrior and i remember it was pretty simple but there was some screw you had to loosen to make sure the oil is flowing or something. Do you have to do this with the raptor? Check the great...ok, ill definately remember that.

Do carb boots still fall off? i thought that problem was cured?

Does anybody else know things to watch out for with the raptor? All im asking is to tell me things that arent obvious or are easily mistaken. Any opinions on scheduled maintenance, and any ways to avoid breaking a fragile part such as the starter. thanks again for all your help...warrior86

Old 03-25-2003, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not really hard to change, it's all in the manual step by step. My suggestion is to rig a hose to a funnel for draining the oil tank and when refilling only put 1.5 quarts in before starting it vs 1.88 in the book. Also I bumped up the psi in the tires for better handling.

Old 03-25-2003, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

take it easy when riding till you get the hang of it,i cant say that enough because the rappy makes you feel like you are invisable,but sooner than you know it you will be on your back,and i rather you enjoy the ride than fear it..trust me

Lean into your turns more so you dont experience the tippiness some people feel..

Give a WD40 bath on the springs and anything that squeeks after you wash it,the rear schock will have a loud squeek sometimes if you dont grease it...

Old 03-25-2003, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

ok, thank you so much for all your help! anyone else?

Old 03-25-2003, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

if you get a pipe and jet it later on, get the GYT-R jet kit and stay away from the DynoJet kit if you are gonna run with no air box lid.
I second the handlebars being weak, also be ready for a new grab bar, mine only lasted one hit while riding a wheelie and snapped off.

Other then that, have fun and be carefull!!

Old 03-25-2003, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

does anybody know if the carb boots are still a problem with the 03's

Old 03-25-2003, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

never had any problems just set the idle high...

Old 03-25-2003, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

so whats the whole story with the carbs anyway. What actually happens, what causes it, does anybody know if it was fixed in 03's or should i make sure i set the idle high? thanks again