Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me choose a GPS unit.....

Look!!

Old 03-28-2003, 03:03 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Blue- nice pics of the batmobile.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-28-2003, 03:16 AM
Pro Rider

speaking of the batmobile...BacardiKeith is moving back from Hawaii in a few months which means the bacardi buswill be back in action!!!! WOOOO HOOOOO!!

Old 03-28-2003, 03:20 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

i like that mount

Old 03-28-2003, 05:25 AM
Pro Rider

I have the e-trex Legend. Not the top of the range, but has just about all the features. best value for money.
Vista is nice, but I didnt think it was worth the extra money.
I use the RAM mount in my car and on my bike. I have just purchased the cable to hook up to the bikes battery. Pen light batteries are no good, they keep vibrating loose.

setup

Old 03-28-2003, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

I also have the Garmin e-trex legend got it from circuit city for 224 along with a 50 dollar rebate, I found Costco online selling them for 229 plus shipping told circuit city about the price and they beat it. Garmin brand is the only one I found with a speedometer, which is what It had to have for me to buy it.

1) The bad thing is if there's cloud cover over heavy trees no reception.

2) Also there's a very long time to connect with satilites on cold start, this is compared to a magellan gold that picks up satillites usaully in 5 seconds compared to 3 minutes for Garmin. I purchased both at the same time to compare and ended up returned the Magellan Gold, because of not having a speedometer and it's so bulky.

Old 03-28-2003, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

The sport trac is made by Magellan, like I said before Magellan's seem to picks up much better than Garmin, does that model Magellan have a speedo? I couldn't find an sales person that could give me an answer so I just bought one of each.

Old 03-28-2003, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

All GPS have a speedo, max speed, average speed, altitude, etc, etc, etc....

I have a Garmin GPS III and a Garmin Legend. I am a big fan of Garmin. The Legens is small, has 8 mb which will hold way more maps than you could possibly ride in a month on a quad and is the best bargain I think. Batteries last a long time, it's goot to carry or put on the quad but not the best GPS for road navigation. The screen is very sharp & high resolution on the Legend and Vista units but again kind of hard to read some of the fine stuff. The Vista has more stuff but the compass and barametric altimiter will suck the bateries when they are being used. The 24 mb RAM is a lot - but trust me 8 mb is plenty to map a pretty big area - that will map just about 1 medium to large city or maybe 1000 square miles of rural areas... It's hard to say since the area the maps hold is dependent on how many roads, etc are on the map.

The Magellens are tested to be slightly more acccurate (we're talking a foot or so here) but their tracking is by far the worst - they cannot plot fine tracks well at all where Garmin is very good at plotting fine changes and such. Most tracking logs are generated using an algorithem that only puts down points when needed and Garmin does this best - it's hard to explain. The Magellans are also HUGE compared the the Garmions. Garmin has exceptional customer service.

get a Garmin Legend if you want something small and around $250 or so.

Old 03-28-2003, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks everyone, I think I am going with the Garmin Legend! Might go get it later on today even.

Old 03-28-2003, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

get the vista !! you know and I know what happens when you try to cut corners,spend the extra $$$ and PM me when you get it , I give you nice BACKUP Topo CD [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Help me choose a GPS unit.....