Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Craycraft back and put together!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003 | 12:10 PM
Range Rover
Default Craycraft back and put together!!

I'm running some Sunoco 105 octane fuel..."purple stuff"

Old 04-05-2003 | 12:11 PM
|
Pro Rider

Rudy, yes I went with stage 2 with 12:1.

Sandman, I've met them down there and raced them before my Raptor was built and we tied every time. They don't have the sparks kit it's more like a clone done by someone else out of Jefferson Oregon, I know the guy and talked to them down there. But maybe we are thinking of different people? I'm going out right now to put dirt tires on and to break the cam in [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I'll let you guys know.

Old 04-05-2003 | 05:46 PM
|
Pro Rider

Finished the cam break in!! I ran into some problems though, the master link on my chain broke and it bound up at the counter shaft and it shorted out a wire and broke a little piece off the block where one of those allan bolts go in. It wasnt a big deal, we got it right back and running again. Anyways as for performance, so far all I have to say is "WOW!!!" after the cam break in I got a chance to give it a little gas (but not much cause I'm breaking it in [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ) and it ran awesome! I had my needle a little rich though and had to take it back down the the third notch and it fixed it right up! Other than that everything went smooth! And so far it has great power, Pulls very hard! I'll give more detail after I ride it more and get a feel for where it really stands out.

Old 04-05-2003 | 07:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You want it to last longer, have more power? Run it up and down the power band up to 3/4 throttle. Basicaly run it fairly hard. Run it up, and let the engine rev back down naturaly. No brakes, No clutch etc. Your break in consist of seating the rings. To do this properly, you want to run it fairly hard. Why? The combustion gases will push the rings out against the cylinder wall better at higher RPMs and your rings will seat evenly all the way around the cylinder this way. You have about 20 miles to get it right. Some will disagree, some will have another variation. Read this and choose for yourself.

Break in secrets

Old 04-06-2003 | 03:35 PM
|
Pro Rider

What do all you guys think of those break in secrets? Think they have the idea down? or should you run it slow?

Old 04-06-2003 | 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

I would never break my engine in the way that webpage says too. That is total bs. I've seen first hand that it does not work.

Old 04-06-2003 | 03:46 PM
|
Pro Rider

Alright, I think I'll take your word for it, I'll take it easy.

Old 04-06-2003 | 03:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

LOL, I'm going to break mine in exactly the way this web page says.

No need to try and say different. It makes way to much sense. He's not telling you to run the **** out of it. He's telling to run it up then down. Build up combustion pressure to seat the rings. It makes sense.

Old 04-06-2003 | 04:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I did not read the secrets yet BUT i do think you should not baby it. I think that some short burst are needed to seat the rings. If you drive it like a little old lady it will never break in right. I can tell you if you hammer the **** out of it right off the bat you will be sorry. We were going to tear the top end off my 03 raptor in the dunes and i was amazed at what 30 minutes did to the cyclinder, most of that time on the dyno. All that said i would treat it a little better than a new car.

Old 04-06-2003 | 05:41 PM
|
Pro Rider

Ya, it all makes since, and besides when you just get your new engine back your gonna wanna test the power out a little!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Craycraft back and put together!!