Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? on oil change/reading/amount

nordy, any responses to this?

Old 04-07-2003, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

For what it's worth - mine never seems to indicate the level consistantly. I've had it read about 1/8 inch over the full line with no apparent damage (careful - dont take this as anything but an observation - I cant vouch for technical validity and dont want to steer ya wrong). I just carefully measure what comes out and check it and add approximately what the book says. In=out

Something else to ponder - the aftermarket oil tanks like the Pingry hold an extra quart of oil and it does not seem to be a problem !? Is the tank simply a resivor ?

Old 04-07-2003, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for the reply fisher, i appreciate it. Ya know, thats a pretty good observation. Maybe the oil tank is just a reservoir. Why is there two different places to drain the oil anyway. If that holds a quart more, even if it is at the same level proportionally in the aftermarket tank as in the stock, its still one more quart of oil. Maybe the oil tank is just there mostly as a reserve to either hold oil when there is too much or add when there is too little.

So yours is stock and youve had it be 1/8 over and this is when you measured it hot and let it sit for five minutes?

Old 04-07-2003, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

Yep- 1/8 inch over when hot. Ended up running a 100 mile desert race that way !? Again - (careful - dont take this as anything but an observation - I cant vouch for technical validity and dont want to steer ya wrong).

Even when it sits for 5 min or so it doesnt seem to change much compared to right after shut-down.- but it typically changes after running for a while and re-checking.

If ya can have an extra quart on hand in the tank (I.E. Pingrys) with a bigger tank - seems ya could hang a gallon jug on there too - to take it to extremes ?? Anybody in the know on this one ?? I'm just guessing.

Old 04-08-2003, 07:13 AM
Pro Rider

fisher, thats a good point. Anyone know about this?

And yes i have noticed that too. The only time i see a drastic change or any change for that matter its only when it cold and then when its very hot at running temperture.

Old 04-08-2003, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

so does any of you mechanics know how little oil you have to have in teh engine to actually hurt it, cause i bet its less then what the dipstick says?

Old 04-08-2003, 05:10 PM
Range Rover

Hello....

Okay I'm new at the whole atv engine scene but I do know cars since I worked as a mechanic before I had my daughter. The reason they had 2 qt. and 2.4 qt. is probably because when you change the filter you loose more oil than if you were to just drain it..... so depending on what you do sometimes it may take 2 qts sometimes more it also will depend on how much oil actually drained out and didn't stay in the engine.... I really wouldn't take any chances with to little oil though!!! I don't think there is a big margin of error with these things....

Good to see another "ditzy" young girl here! *LMAO*

on the extra quart in the aftermarket tanks....maybe it has to do with the bigger the sump pan the more heat can be dissapated from the oil....it would allow it to sit longer before recirculating.....just a thought though

Old 04-08-2003, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

o, your not a ditzy girl. It'd be my dream to find a woman like you to have. A woman not afraid to ride something with power that involves coordination. Someone who knows engines.

Hey and by the way...sorry about your banshee. Ya know, i cant figurue out who to be loyal to. I wanna say yamaha all the way, cause them make pretty good quality products, but when these products do fail, they really dont stand behind them at all. And thats NOT how you do business. That whole tranny thing is a disgrace. But unfortunately there isnt a mercedees or BMW of atv's that is genuinly devoted to making the best product without failure. when there is a problem, they are the first to fix em and always improve. Yamaha seems to make the best they can on the first try, but whatever fails, theyve lost all their energy to go back to the drawing board.

Raptor has one way, zuki and kfx have axle and swingarm is bad design, and weak frame, 400ex is air cooled and outta date, banshee hasnt really been improved in years/ No matter what its all luck.

And welcome to the forums!

Old 04-08-2003, 05:26 PM
Range Rover

I'm blushing thanks for the compliments......

I've decided the Shee is just evil....but I do have faith that yamaha will eventually stand behind the turd..*L*
and if not I will find a way to shove it down there throat even if that involves driving it through the front window of the dealership!! *LOL* If all else fails I'm gonna burn it burry it and claim it stolen!! *L*

Good luck on the raptor oil mess...see ya around..

Old 04-08-2003, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

wow, i dont know who you are, where you live, or how old you are but would u marry me? lol

Burn everything but the broken engine and then throw the engine throw the dealers window. Say...i guess when the stole the quad they realized the engine was evil and did away with it angry at the fact yamaha didnt fix the engine. see ya

back to topic, anyone else have something to add?