Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak Choke

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 07:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak Choke

I have a new ( only 30 km on it) ’03 kodiak 400 and it seems I have choke issues already. Today when the temp was hovering around 0 degrees C I noticed the bike would not start when the choke is fully open.. When it is half open it starts with a higher than idle RPM but after about 1 minute the RPM’s slow and it stalls. I suspect that the choke is not working as it should. Having viewed posts on various forums I thought this was an old model Kodiak problem. It anyone can offer an opinion or can relay a similar encounter and any proposed solutions it would be helpful. Should I just return it to the dealer to be fixed( it just 2 dday a 2 ries old) ; that is assuming the problem can be permanently fixed.

Old 04-06-2003, 08:16 PM
Trailblazer
Default Kodiak Choke

when u start it on half choke and it stalls, do you try to start it on no-choke? it is okay for it to be higher rpm's when warming up, and my bike sometimes stalls when its cold out.
hope this helps
Josh

Old 04-07-2003, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider
Default Kodiak Choke

Hello. Your problem sound exactly like mine. Your choke is fine. You own a Yamaha. Pretty well everyone that has there Yamaha in an unheated shed or barn has to deal with this. Mine has been like this since late October. My self I have to stay with the Kodiak for about 10 minutes before I get on it. It takes them awhile to warm up. I ordered a coolant warmer (like a block heater) but it was on back order so I'm not sure if it will arrive before the cold ends. However I will have it next year.

Old 04-14-2003, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Kodiak Choke

Just got it back from the dealer. They adjusted the carburator ( so they say) and now only using 1/2 choke it started and idled fast AND stayed ideling appropriately- it never cut out @ 2 degrees today. They said I should not be using Full Choke unless it is very cold , like - 15 or more. As the machines are built rich it usually does not need to much choke. They said as well that there is something built into the carb for emmissions standards that they tend to remove at the first scheduled service- fine with me if it work. Does anyone know what that part may be ?

I'd don't know if I'll have the opportunity to check out if the fix still works in colder weather. Hopefully the temperature will continue to climb daily here in Nova Scotia.

Old 09-17-2003, 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Kodiak Choke

A buddy of mine with the same modle just upped the idle screw slightly and all my issues seem to have gone away. Could just be the warm weather through . We'll know for sure in October whent he outside Temp. drops.

Old 12-10-2003, 01:47 AM
Trailblazer
Default Kodiak Choke

My choke on my Kodiak sticks on. I sprayd some engine cleaner in it, but that didn't help. I think the spring is actually to weak for the choke recoil. Any suggestions?

Old 12-10-2003, 07:23 AM
Pro Rider
Default Kodiak Choke

The spring is probably rusted and in two pieces now. Get a replacement spring from the auto part store. You can cut the spring if necessary to get the right length. Alos, get a new choke cable. The cables that were originally installed on 2000 and many 2001 didn't seal moisture and dirt out very well. They have a better design now.

/Jon

Old 12-10-2003, 05:24 PM
Trailblazer
Default Kodiak Choke

Ya I have a 2003 Kodiak, I'm good on the cable housing, just the sticky choke is the killer.

Old 12-11-2003, 07:48 AM
Pro Rider
Default Kodiak Choke

yeah, it's a yamaha thing. they tend to take a little longer than most to warm up.

Old 11-21-2004, 07:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Kodiak Choke

Doing so maintenance today adn I pulled out the Srping. Teh tope 10 mm was thin and black and as soon a I moved it , the thing broke off. The machine is officially just 19 months old , just in case other owners would like to check theirs. Boy the bike ran terribly without that plug thingy that is attached to the ckoke cabel. Anyone know why it would run so rough and spew lots of carbon out the exhaust,

Quick Reply: Kodiak Choke