Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

High Performance Quad

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Performance Quad

Hi,

I am in the process of purchasing a new quad. I have previously owned two yamaha banshees, a 97 and a 00. I am considering one of the following models, a raptor, predator, another banshee, or a z/kfx. I will most likely be buying the quad new and wanted some unbiased input. Like I said above I am experienced with quads and loved the banshees when I had them. However, with the new quads in the market, I think that it may no longer be the best choice for me. I primarily ride trails with some really fast sections, and enjoy screwing around on some jumps and whoop sections. I was wondering how these quads compare as far as suspension, handling, and the overall fun factor. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Old 04-10-2003, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally love my Raptor, and yes I haved rode the other quads you mentioned. All of the bikes you stated would make a great ride but if you are used to Banshee level power you may want to stay away from the z/kfx.Good Luck.

Old 04-10-2003, 03:24 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for responding,

Just wondering have you had any durability problems? I know the 01s had some tranny issues. I know that yamaha has since corrected that, but has anything given you any problems? I really like the looks of the raptor, I rode a z400 and found it to be a fun quad, it sure as hell didn't have the punch of my piped banshee but it was pretty fun. I guess thats what happens when you haven't ridden for a couple of months. lol

Jeff

Old 04-10-2003, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problems except for some play in my rear shock bushing that i will have checked out. And there was the rear grab bar but that was my fault, LOL.

Old 04-10-2003, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

For trail riding I would 110% recomend the Raptor. Out of the quads you mentioned the only one that I have not ridden is the Pred, but I would stay away from it just because is a Polaris (they may have a good quad that will prove itself, but its not going to prove itself with me testing it.).

As you can see my wife rides a Z and yes its a fun quad, but does it have the power or a Rap or Shee? NO

The benefits of the Rap over the Shee are reverse and a more controlable, smother power band.

IMO you will NOT be disapointed with the Raptor.

Good luck on your choice and have a blast riding!!!!!

Old 04-10-2003, 03:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The Z/KFX's are too slow too comment on. The Raptor is made for trail riding...especially open, fast trail riding. The 02's up appear have the bugs worked out. The Raptor responds too a pipe and open air box like a Banshee does. I cammed and increased compression on mine and it runs strong....a Banshee with the standard stuff needs serious porting too run with it.
The Banshee, as you probably know, can be made into a good trail rider. Comfy seat and soft suspension that will bottom while trail riding at speed. My main complaint is the heavy front end on a stock Banshee, it's hard too get the front end up and over obstacles on the trail at speed. Modded...this is'nt a problem. Another plus for the Banshee is engine maintenance....piece of cake too work on.
I have'nt rode a Predator but it seems real nice and powerful....but it's a first year quad.

Old 04-10-2003, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

The raptor is a trail riding quad, narrow for tight sections and plenty of power for open areas.
Also the raptor has ok suspensionfor trails but isnt the best for jumps, but still good just not the best.There is also a butt load of aftermaket parts for it. Only the 01 models have had any problems with the tranny the 02 and 03 are very dependable.You can get a good deal for new ones too.

The predator is ok in trail riding but doesnt have that smack that the raptor does. It doesnt have reverse either wich normally i would say that it is needed in trails, but seeing how you rode banshees you are probably used to it The suspension is superb and s probably the best of the quads mentioned.The track is were this quad shines, it can hiw any jump or whoops whith the most of ease with a good rider.

The Z/KFX has the least power of the bunch, but is still a good trail rider but the predator and raptor beat it bad in that category.The suspension is better than the raptors,but not as good as the predator. It has reverse wich is helpful in tight spots and really reliable engine, though
there have been reports of a axle that breaks as easy as wet paper.It does good on the track,but a predator beats it there, also you have to watch for the axle mentioned earlier.It is cheaper, and there is alot of stuff you can get for it so it will keep up with and beat if u want it to the pred and raptor.

Im not going to talk about the shee becuase you probably know more about it than me.

In my personal reference I like the raptor because it has a huge kick in the pance engine, and trail riding chassis.

Whatever you get i hope you enjoy it.

Old 04-10-2003, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

Well just here recently I finally traded my 99 Warrior for a brand new 2003 Raptor. I really love riding my new Raptor the power isn't overbearing and it's definetly there when you need it. The clutch action is much smoother than my Warrior was. About your question of which quad would be better. You already know about the Banshee so I won't get into that because you probably know more about that quad than me. The Predator seems like an awesome quad but it's looks leave alot to be desired I know I shouldn't judge a quad by it's looks but hey if I am going to fork out $6,000 dollars for a ATV I want it to look like it was money well spent and the Predator is just dog ugly. As for the Z I had the chance to ride one and they are very fun machines if the Raptor would not have been around this is probably the quad I would have went with. It responds well to mods, has reverse, liquid cooled and the motor is very durable. Me I choose the Raptor and I am happy I did so Good Luck with your choice.

Old 04-10-2003, 09:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Atv 4-Wheel Action Mag did a shoot out of the Raptor, Z400 and the Predator. Here is the result.
(Drag race) Raptor1st, Predator2nd at only 2/100ths behind and the Z400 3rd at only a 1/2 sec. behind
(Best Motor) Raptor 660 has power everywhere.Predator lacked the powerful torque at the bottom the 660 displays and the Z revs quickly and never falls off the cam and distinctly lacks vibration but at only 398ccs it is the softy of the bunch.
(Best Tranny) Z400 smooth shifter ratios are spot on and has reverse. Raptor has sloppy feel compared to the Z resulting in more missed shifts,It comes with reverse. Far behind was the Predator. It refused to shift up under power, but casual riding its no big deal.
(Best Suspension) It was close they chose the Z over the Predator only because of the balancing of the spring and dampening rate. Raptor to soft front and rear. The soft front causes the body to roll that has become infamous among stock Raptor riders.
(Turns Best) The Predator thanks to the forward weight bias and Maxxis razs tires. Then the Z400 it's very forgiving. Body roll and high center of gravity cost the Raptor in cornering.
(The Jumper)The Predator barely,the weight balance keeps things flat and is a good lander. The Z is a little sensitive on the launche but is light and lands well it was a close 2nd. The Raptors high center of gravity making take offs tricky and the to soft suspension on the landing drops it to a definate 3rd.
(Whoops) The Z400 but can develope a packing problem due to excess rebound on long challenging whoop sections. Then is the Raptor light front end and great power makes use of the plush suspension. The heavy front end makes skipping the whoops difficult also the rev limiter is annoying it causes the Predator to cough and sputter through these whoop sections.
(Hills) All did well
(Brakes) Predator thanks to steel braided hydrolic lines. The Zs and Raptor were a step or two behind.
(Wheelys) Z400 over the Raptor. The dual carbs on the Raptor get a little cranky during virtical riding. The Predator is by design not a wheely machine.
(Best in the Woods) Z400 narrow light responsive and has reverse. Predator next but hamperd by the heavy front end when you need to pull it up and no reverse you'll be pushing 424 lbs. back. Raptor is last here with that high center of gravity again.
(How did ATV Mag rate them over all) I hate to say it being a Yamaha guy but the Raptor was last and the Predator 2nd with the Z400 coming out on top.
After all that I personaly wouldn't buy a Predator over a Raptor,but you got to admit that Z400's looking pretty good.

Old 04-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Range Rover

You asked this on a yamaha forum...everyone will say raptor here...

IMHO the best all around quad is going to be a 400ex. I've rode everything, and nothing is going to compare to a 400ex, they will run forever, handle great, jump great..just do everything great. I ride with a big group of guys, and the only one that has no trouble is the 400ex. and he beats it to death.

The raptors just i dunno, i'm not impressed

Quick Reply: High Performance Quad