Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor trail steup?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 11:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor trail steup?????

hey guys im in dire need of ssome new a arms for the raptor but im not exactly sure what size i need as in +2+1or what i am racing hare scrambles and a couple gncc events here in the carolinas i want to make it handle better but with racing trails she already tight through some of them any suggetstions of this would be greatly appreciated thanks again Jeremy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-11-2003, 12:57 PM
Trailblazer

might leave the stock arms on..or at least stick to stock length arms and then just get better shelf sagging shocks...like elkas or something...that'll lower your center of gravity without widening you significantly.

Old 04-11-2003, 01:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

what is the significance in moving the arms foward also i was just wondering thanks again

Old 04-11-2003, 01:01 PM
Trailblazer

well it would make you more stable i imagine, also would force more weight forward and make you a bit less likely to wheelie. doing trails and XC though i don't know that you'd want to be too much longer (maybe just do a 1 1/4" longer swingarm..) as that increases your turning radius.

Old 04-11-2003, 01:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

cool so DOES ROLL DESIGN do stock length a arms i was also thinking of doing shocks with a zero preload any bad in that thnks again man

Old 04-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Too wide will slow you down in the woods. Plus 1 offset rims maybe? Shocks with sag controk will help and a stabilizer will be a must.

Old 04-11-2003, 04:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

will you explain to me what i need to get shock wise and what is this stabilizer that i have been hearing alot about please give me some explanation i am new to shock setup and suspension goodies for fourwheelers thanks guys Jeremy

Old 04-11-2003, 04:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: raptorman33
will you explain to me what i need to get shock wise and what is this stabilizer that i have been hearing alot about please give me some explanation i am new to shock setup and suspension goodies for fourwheelers thanks guys Jeremy
If you are new too 4-wheelers, I would'nt worry about the larger money items like shocks and a-arms yet (you are gonna destroy some stuff).....focus on your riding skills. Still get the stabilizer though...it attaches too your steering stem and provides resistance against the bars moving back and forth or headshake. This headshake wears a rider out and makes him slower. Pro-flo, skid plate, and better tires are a must too. Hope this helps bro.

Old 04-11-2003, 04:35 PM
Trailblazer

I would agree with the offset rims..just make sure you get the shocks setup for them. the advantage to aftermarket shocks is that they are setup for your weight, as opposed to the generic 150 lb rider setup on stock shocks..the self sagging devices let the shocks sag the proper amt automatically as opposed to just tightening up on teh main springs....
Read on this site..it has a lot of info...

here is a quote about the selfsagging/no preload thing...

The "no preaload" feature give the suspension maximum traction and stability at the beginning of the stroke while ensuring excellent impact resistance at the end of it. This feature lowers the height - and therefore the centre of gravity - of the ATV, resulting in easier turns and better weight transfer.

http://www.elkasuspension.com/eng/racingvtt.html

as far as the steering dampner..its a small shock that'll keep bumpsteer from tearing your arms up..forinstance when you get a wheel caught in a rut or whatever...

the denton is great and quite reasonable..around 150-160 for the rebuildable model...
http://www.dentonracing.com/products/steering.php

also there are clamp mounted ones such as GPR and Scotts. these can be adjusted on the fly..and i know the scott is really trick and has progressive resistance so its easier to steer with it on there...its also usable on street bikes with the right mounting kits... these are of course MUCH more expensive...probably 400-600 dollars as you have to get different bar clamps, etc... to go with them.

they sell the GPR here..i don't know the actual manufacturers site
http://www.revlimiterracing.com/steering/gpr/gpr.html

here is the scotts site:
http://www.scottsperformance.com/indexmain.html

Also----don't forget good aluminum skids for the bottom....gyt-r, PRM, whatever yhour preference is..i have the GYT-R..a bit more expensive but they hold up well..

and of course better tires...RAZR 2's for XC probably..on good rims..maybe something like the ITP t-9 bajas....

Old 04-11-2003, 04:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey man thanks fot the info im not sompletely new to fourwheelers just new to stuff that you can do to them i had a blaster banshee and now my raptor i have race harescrambles for a while now and i am just wondering what is worth its money that is really gonna help me out with arm pump and being so tired after the first lap on this raptor i have already upgraded tires and i have found these the best for the money right now im running the razrs by the way and i absolutely love those things on all terrain well thanks for the understanding guys

Quick Reply: raptor trail steup?????