Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

broke rod

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 10:54 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broke rod

You can add me to the list of stage1 hotcam, 11:1 piston, '02 tranny in '01 raptor, BROKE ROD[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] I'm not ready for another tear down yet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Man am I pissed!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] Maybe Craycraft here I come!

Old 04-13-2003, 10:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default broke rod

That sux. It didn't go through the cases did it? I hope not.

Old 04-13-2003, 11:44 PM
Range Rover
Default broke rod

I don't think so. No oil leaks that I saw. We'll see in the morning after it sits overnight.

Old 04-13-2003, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default broke rod

Originally posted by: txrideblue
You can add me to the list of stage1 hotcam, 11:1 piston, '02 tranny in '01 raptor, BROKE ROD[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] I'm not ready for another tear down yet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Man am I pissed!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] Maybe Craycraft here I come!
I would be REALLY pissed!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope you get it running soon!!!!

Old 04-13-2003, 11:53 PM
Range Rover
Default broke rod

I've mellowed out a little. Some anger induced cerveza consumption works wonders!!

Old 04-14-2003, 12:08 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default broke rod

TXridebl- Please give us the details. Stock bore?? How long had it been installed?? Did you bore and hone it to .0040?? or just drop it in. Sorry that this happened to you. No matter how you look at it it sucks. Hopefully it did not tear up everything. How did it happen?? Was there any cooling off period and then take off again before it broke?

Old 04-14-2003, 09:09 AM
Range Rover
Default broke rod

I added the piston and cam when I did the tranny overhaul. I'd had it all in about a week. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Stayed with stock bored. I took the cyclinder to a shop and had it honed. Clearances on the piston seemed ok. Ring gap clearances were spot on. I let it heat cycle at idle. Rode 10 minutes at about half speed, let it cool completely. Did this a couple times. Rode about 15 minutes at 75%, let it cool completely down. Did this a couple times also. A total of 5 heat cycles. Then I changed to oil and filter. The next time I went out, I was on it pretty hard. Probably not ***** to the wall, but pretty hard. Jetting wasn't right, so I re-jetted it yesterday and then I went to ride. I let it idle pretty fast with choke on for about 5 minutes while put my gear on. Rode easy for about 10 minutes, until I felt it was sufficiently warmed up. Then I rode to a level caliche road to check my jetting at wide open throttle. I ran through the gears once and slowed to about 3/4 throttle in third. Then got back on the gas and ran up to wide open 4th. Ran that listening to see if my jetting was still off. Went about 75-100 yards, then CLANK. I don't know how bad it will be when I get in there to look at it. That may be a while though. How long is the wait at Craycraft?

Old 04-14-2003, 09:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default broke rod

That doesn't sound like a crank rod to me. Check the timing chain. If you were going that fast it surly would have tore a hole in the cases imo. Did the quad lock up? It just made a bad sound and died? Will it crank over but not start? Or does it crank over and start but run like crap? The stage 1 hotcam you used, did it come with a new decompression pin? If not, what were the numbers on the side of the cam where the sprocket bolts on? Take the head off at least then you'll know for sure what happened.

Old 04-14-2003, 09:43 AM
Range Rover
Default broke rod

wsh-it clanked, then died but did not lock up. will not start. just turns over with a clank on each rotation. that's what made me think rod.

Old 04-14-2003, 10:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default broke rod

Sounds like the chain or cam sprocket.

Quick Reply: broke rod