Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

broke rod

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 10:44 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broke rod

I'll definitely pull the head and let you know. Man, if I don't have to spilt the cases it would be sweet!!

Old 04-14-2003, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider
Default broke rod

Man these are the same friggin nightmare stories that I kept hearing about with my 01 tranny, then hoping and praying that it would never happen to me...... well it f'ing did!!!!

Now I gotta sweat this sh_t everytime I ride!!! I've been running mine for 8 months now with no probs so far, runs great, but geeeeez this crap just scares me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Sorry to hear about your misfortune TX, maybe it won't be too bad for ya! Keep us posted.

Old 04-14-2003, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default broke rod

How high are you turning the rpm's????

Old 04-14-2003, 03:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default broke rod

Check the automatic timing chain adjuster....maybe it was installed fully open and applied too much stress on the chain, resulting on failure. This is my guess.

Old 04-14-2003, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default broke rod

That sound like a viable answer to me. Just hope its you timming chain. Good luck.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2003, 08:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default broke rod

No update? Oh...well....time too cut the grass...I will check back later...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

Old 04-14-2003, 09:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default broke rod

Eraptoid, doesnt it just suck? I remember when I first bought my Raptor, the smile on my face everytime I rode it. Then I found this site, the smile was still there because now I had a fun ride to play on and a good website to get answers to questions. Then the the dreaded tranny thread, I don't remember which one was the first I read but it was enough. Then the threads were popping up like flies. The smile on my face was dissapearing and the fear of flying over the handlebars set in. Fortunatly I didn't fly over the bars, got that problem cured, figured I'd add a few go fast parts. The smile returns, no more fear of tranny failure, I've got good power having more fun then I ever did. Then one day I read about weak stock rods on bikes with the same exact mods as I just did. The smile stays but the fear sets in. Baaam. It happens. Soon, I'll hopfuly have a smile on my face again. But, whats next?

Old 04-14-2003, 11:27 PM
Range Rover
Default broke rod

I don't think it's the adjuster. I installed it fully released, then installed the spring so that it re-set itself to where it needed to be. Maybe I get the head removed in the morning.

Old 04-17-2003, 12:01 PM
Range Rover
Default broke rod

Finally got time to take a quick look at it. Pulled the plug to check for compression. Take a look and tell me what you guys think...I still think it's the rod!!
Photo

Old 04-17-2003, 12:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default broke rod

Thats ain't pretty. Could be the rod broke....or a circlip came outta the piston and everything got ate up too the point of piston breakage. Could be debris in the catch screen at the bottom of the oil tank......limiting oil flow and dry-chaining the engine. Was it a Wiseco or JE piston? Sorry for your misfortune bro.

Quick Reply: broke rod