Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine vs. Kodiak

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 10:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine vs. Kodiak

I'm currently looking to buy a new quad and I've considered the Wolverine and Kodiak. I own a Blaster, but I want a serious change of pace. I have bounced back and for between sport and ute and I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on my choices. I like the idea of the comfort of a serious utility but don't want to give up alot in the handling deptartment. I mostly ride technical trails and open farm country with no serious air under the tires like MX riding. Any ideas?

Old 04-16-2003, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

from what i have gatherd here on the fourms the wolv has great handling and is 1 of the most sportiest 4wds out there, the suspension is good also. if you dont have to do alot of hualing get the wolv. top speed is somewhere around 60 hope this helps [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] o yeah im am getting a wolv 2

Old 04-16-2003, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

the kodiak also has great handling. if it were me i would want something i could take out of 4x4.

Old 04-16-2003, 02:17 PM
Trailblazer

I would go with the wolv if you want a sportier bike. I just got a wolv a few weeks ago and I love it. It handles great, is fast about 57 stock, and it is a blast to ride. If you have to be able to take it out of 4x4 into 2x4, Warn makes an unlocker so you can shift into 2x4.

Old 04-16-2003, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider

Bill, Where are you from/ride?
The Kodiak handles surprisingly well for a ute and is fairly quick. the top speed will not match the wolvy though. If you ride alot of tech trails, then the Kodiak may edge out the wolvy there. Also, I have been looking in cycle trader lately and it seems that wolvy's are not holding their value as well as the Kodiak.

Old 04-17-2003, 09:04 AM
Pro Rider

spike says the wolv goes 57, that is only 2 mph more than what i got my kodiak going. according to the speedo on my machine. so the wolv isnt that much faster. and if you ask me the kodiak is just a sporty as the wolv, but the kodiak can still do utility stuff and go through anything. go with the kodiak

Old 04-17-2003, 11:37 AM
Trailblazer

My Wife and I have drag raced many times and her Kodiak will stay right next to my Wolverine until I reach the top of 4th and hit 5th then I start to pull away. I enjoy and prefer the shifting "control" of the Wolverine and feel it is a bit more sporty. That being said, I have hit some big jumps which produced pretty good air on the Kodiak and it performed great. Both are easy to handle and are great mid sized machines.

Old 04-17-2003, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer

what about that suzuki 500 with the manual transmission and the switchable 2wd/4wd, the vinson??

here is a review..sounds like fun to me...

https://atvconnection.com/atvconnect...nual-Shift.cfm

kind of the best of both worlds ya know??

Old 04-21-2003, 07:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am also considering a wolv I just cant decide on a wolv or a scrambler 400. any ideas

Old 04-21-2003, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer

Balla15,
Are you talking about the Trail Blazer 400 two stroke or the Scrambler 500 four stroke? I don't know a lot about the Polaris's but they are a bit heavier and I don't believe they come with racks as a standard option. You might need racks for light work. There is also a Sportsman 400 by Polaris as well which is less sportier and more "work like". If you go to Polarisindustries.com you can get all of the specs and some comparrison information.

Quick Reply: Wolverine vs. Kodiak