Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine Questions

I was wondering where is a good place to buy parts, oem or aftermarket, for the wolverine. After letting it sit for a bit, I am trying to fix it up after its "accident" . Also, what modifications do you recommend for it that will increase my performance the most? Right now EVERYTHING is stock on it. Thanks for all the help!

*note: I did do a search, but did not find what I wanted to know, so sorry for the inconveniece!

Old 04-16-2003, 07:48 AM

Unless you are looking for something specific places like Dennis Kirk, and Rock Mtn. etc would be the best to find aftermarket parts. For OEM parts go to google and search for yamaha oem parts finder, a lot of dealers have this set up in their websites and you can order any oem part needed. For increasing your power the most I would first get a K&N, jet kit, and pipe. You will see a good power gain by doing this.

Patrick

Old 04-16-2003, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you feel like going into the engine a little, going up a few sizes on the piston and upping the compression to 10.25 : 1 will give you a good all around power boost, I went the whole package and put in a cam and ported the head while I had it all apart,seemed a waste not to add it while it was all apart. If money is a problem, just a piston will give noticeable increases, along with the above mentioned pipe filter and jetting. I am a pretty big fan of the Wolverine, it was one of the first true sport utes, is a blast to drive fast on trails, jumps and climbs good, and still can be used around the yard for work when needed. Sure, it doesn't have the big cc's of some of the new ones, but I can ride all day on 3 gallons of gas, lets see the 600 plus boys do that !!!!! For some pipes, check Rocky Mt. ATV, they have great prices on exhausts, or even ebay, remember, Warrior silencers will fit fine on your Wolverine,as well as all other engine parts- pistons,cams, etc.

Old 04-16-2003, 02:20 PM
Trailblazer

Go to www.albaaction.com, they have a nice kit for the wolverine. You get a K&N filter, jet kit, torque stuffer, and a FMF Mega Max II pipe for like $299.00.

Old 04-16-2003, 04:24 PM
Trailblazer

95wolv,

How much improvement did you get with your engine mods? I looked into haveing a shop put in all of the goodies for a high compression kit and such and they were talking around $1000 for about 25% - 30% increase in performance ($450 for labor). I have an FMF Megamax II, K&N and have rejetted and noticed improvement in the low end torque especially. The problem that I have is do I spend the grand to improve the Wolv slightly or do I put it toward a Raptor? I like to ride mud and rocks with the 4x4 but need more performance on the track and dunes - my decision really depends on how much the Wolverine is improved with a full engine mod.

Old 04-16-2003, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

YamahaFlyer,
I did most of my own work, the kit was under 300, I had the jug sent out to be bored, and the local Yamaha shop ported my head and put in the new valve springs (needed for aftermarket cams) so I had a lot less than 1000 tied up in mine, less than 500, in fact. Taking it apart and reassembly is not hard, just don't let the cam chain fall into the bottom end, and put rags in all the holes, I dropped a circlip for the piston,got lucky and fished it out. I put the bigger tires on at the same time, so I ended up with plenty of power to spin the bigger meats, and my top speed according to my gps is just under 60mph. Porting really lets it rev better, there is a lot of extra metal in the chambers that restrict flow. I rode mine stock back in 95 at Silver Lake sand dunes, and it was fine there, so I imagine with my mods,it would be even more fun. On straight parts of the trail, my son on his 300ex can't touch me, I leave him eating dust !!! If you are considering a Raptor, you may want to just save your money for the bigger machine, it would take a lot more than a 1000 bucks to make a Wolverine compare to a Raptor 660, except in the mud and rough stuff.

Old 04-17-2003, 01:06 PM
Trailblazer

95Wolv,

That's what I'm thinking. I can keep up with anyone on the trails, I just need more performance for fast tracking and sport parks. I didn't think the improvement would be great enough to have the best of both worlds but I appreciate all of your information. To give the Wolverine some credit, a few weeks ago Colorado had a 90 year snow storm which left a local track completely mudded up. I got into an informal testoserone race with an 03' Raptor and wiped him up. He would gain on me in the straights that were dry but bogged down in the mud and water pools and eventually gave up when I was more than half a lap in front. On dry days I wouldn't stand much of a chance but on that day bragging rights were mine!

Old 04-17-2003, 02:51 PM
Trailblazer

Well I have asked this before with mixed results. Would it be worth is to just put a K&N air filter kit on my 01 wolverine or would i have to go all out with the torque stuffer, jet kit, and pipe to notice a difference in power.

bighunter

01 wolverine
25-10-12 titan 589's

Old 04-17-2003, 02:57 PM
Trailblazer

In my opinion, on both the kodiak and wolverine machines that I have installed k&n filters on, the only noticeable improvement was in throttle response. Maybe a bit in the torque not very much. You are also talking about approx $25 verses several hundred.

Old 04-17-2003, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

bighunter,
To get the best response from your quad, you should go the whole route with filter/pipe/jetting. The K&N with jets would pick up the throttle response and give you more grunt, but it is best to improve breathing all around, if you free up the intake breathing, it would be a waste to choke off potential gains by not letting the exhaust open up and expel the burnt gasses faster and more efficiently.

Quick Reply: Wolverine Questions